Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

That'd be sweet.  Could finally relive the "Iron Hand," stuff from Flight of the Intruder.

DaFoe's accent in that movie still rubs me wrong, but a tiger striped jumpsuit would be sweet.

Toonces

Quote from: mikeck on May 10, 2019, 02:16:00 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2019, 12:32:49 PM
Why can't there be a surprise release of something like an A-6 or a A-7?  :-[

I would sit down and Learn a DCS module if they would use the new "Jester" AI assistant in an A-6 Module

Word.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 10, 2019, 11:46:50 AM
Admittedly late to the DCS game on my end, but the I-16 seemed to come out of nowhere.

Would have loved to hear the sales pitch for it.

"Hey, a Yak would be cool."
"Nope."
"A IL-2?"
"Been done."
"LagG?"
"No thank you."
"Well what then?
"...an I-16!"

:wow:

Aren't there I-16s all over the place?  The original Il-2 had one.  BoX has one.  Anyway, I'm flying the Farmer (I think the Fresco would have been more fun, but the Farmer has its moments):

mikeck

Like a fat kid at recess....I don't play. How 'bout a "jester" AI as a back seater in an F-111! Would love to do some super-low terrain following strike missions. One of my most favoritist planes ever. I really miss the late 70's - mid 80's when aircraft were built for a certain purpose and were only part of a strike package...each one with its own task during the play. A-7s for SEAD alongside an EA-6b, A-6s on the attack with F-14s providing cover

Now they're all fancy-pants with their multi-role fighters. Christ, the F-35 is insanely capable. Hell, who need an EA-18g when the F-35 has sensors in its skin and can actually interfere/jam enemy radars without the enemy even knowing it's happening. Can create a false image. Can fight close, BVR, fly between SAM sites to hit targets. BAH....where's the fun in that? I blame the FA-18

Anyway, I'd love to get the kit for this game and spend the time to learn it but I need to be motivated by a cool plane. F-14 is close but too complex. Maybe Jarhead has it right and we need an A-7
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on May 11, 2019, 09:12:34 PM
Like a fat kid at recess....I don't play. How 'bout a "jester" AI as a back seater in an F-111! Would love to do some super-low terrain following strike missions. One of my most favoritist planes ever. I really miss the late 70's - mid 80's when aircraft were built for a certain purpose and were only part of a strike package...each one with its own task during the play. A-7s for SEAD alongside an EA-6b, A-6s on the attack with F-14s providing cover

Now they're all fancy-pants with their multi-role fighters. Christ, the F-35 is insanely capable. Hell, who need an EA-18g when the F-35 has sensors in its skin and can actually interfere/jam enemy radars without the enemy even knowing it's happening. Can create a false image. Can fight close, BVR, fly between SAM sites to hit targets. BAH....where's the fun in that? I blame the FA-18

Anyway, I'd love to get the kit for this game and spend the time to learn it but I need to be motivated by a cool plane. F-14 is close but too complex. Maybe Jarhead has it right and we need an A-7

The primitive jets are more fun, I think.  The farmer is barely supersonic, barely has a radar (the ECCM mode is interesting though), barely has missiles (but the guns are nice):

Jarhead0331

They are working on an F-4...also, there is a community mod A-4E that is absolutely fantastic. Finally, there are some great cold war modules out there with 3rd generation aircraft such as the F-5, M2000 and Viggen. There are plenty of older dedicated aircraft already on the menu...check it out!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Yeah, I've seen those JH. As you know, it's a tough process to learn this stuff as well as the $$ for a good stick/pedals, etc. More the time. I'm sure those aircraft are great but to actually get me to sit down and learn it, I think it has to be simple(ish) and a favorite aircraft. A-7, A-6, F-111, etc.

The F-14 is really tempting though
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on May 12, 2019, 02:08:26 AM

The F-14 is really tempting though

I've struggled to learn the F-14 after getting comfortable with the Hornet. Some of the cold war era craft are much harder to learn and fly then the most advanced 4th gen stuff...it was a rude awakening for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

The jester AI actually makes the f14 one of the easiest to get up in the air.  He'll run through the checklist with you prompting you on what to do at start up.

You do get to an intermediate point where you feel like you can lock targets faster than jester.  I'm at a point now where I'd rather be jester, but the pilot AI sucks.  It's really awkward trying to direct an AI pilot while being rio.  This is where multicrew mp excels, but a human rio is not always available.  The f14 with a capable human rio is probaly the most lethal plane in the game.

Jarhead0331

^that hasn't been my experience at all. Jester will walk you through the steps, but he doesn't tell you where everything is in the cockpit or how to read and use the instruments. Unless it's been updated since release, it's still not magic.  For me, it's been a steep learning curve and I'm just so comfortable with the Hornet that learning another complicated aircraft that is so different from what I am used to has not been appealing yet. I hope to get there eventually. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I wasn't implying it's magic, you still have to read the manual if you want to know what everything does.  Having jester callout the checklist is still helpful to keep the flow going, but you still have to know where the stuff is he's calling out.  Most of the stuff on the check list are just visual checks.  If you trim those out and don't have the real time nav alignment set, you can be up in the air in minutes.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 11, 2019, 09:57:43 PM

The primitive jets are more fun, I think.  The farmer is barely supersonic, barely has a radar (the ECCM mode is interesting though), barely has missiles (but the guns are nice):

Internally illuminated Farmer:

Destraex

What no talk about the eagle dynsmics employee that ran off and resold fighter manuals andha now been arrested?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Ok then I will start.

Looks like one of the dcs developers got tagged for getting fighter manuals sent via a forum member purchased on ebay but not directly sendable to Moscow a few years back. Specifically for the F16. When he finally travelled to Georgia the us extradited him. Apparently he was also selling them to other countries. He also would have liked an F35 manual and a sting operation was set in place to entrap him.

I cannot understand why an employee of eagle dynamics would do this if they had agreements with US companies to make the F16. However I guess this was all before that development would have started.

Apparently the manuals he got were not secret, just not allowed to be exported from the US.

https://www.rt.com/news/459334-russian-f16-manuals-simulator-arrest/?fbclid=IwAR2vbz_0y6a2jO8aIVMiq4TCJ0lvUYfmDYs8AYL22Ujg2lb7m4QfUqD1Ku4

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/05/russian-man-jailed-for-buying-f-16-manuals-claims-they-were-for-flight-sims/?fbclid=IwAR1rnqLsqKeXQCDHw6A581pbYb6KqschurlAAHNfDVpcsUqqSvPyAdLWezM

Destraex

Official Statement from ED
"Lausanne, 14 May 2019.

The Eagle Dynamics group, headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, confirms that one of its employees has been jailed in the State of Utah (USA) on charges of seeking to procure, export and sell restricted US fighter jet manuals, in particular the F-16.

Eagle Dynamics confirms that it was not involved in any way in the actions of its employee who acted in a purely private context and for his own personal interests.

The Company develops all of its DCS aircraft game modules exclusively on the basis of publicly available information and has never used nor tried to obtain any classified information.

The Company launched an internal investigation into the actions of its employee, and found nothing in the company's records that relates to the facts that are being held against him. The investigation confirmed in particular that no company resources were used and that no export restricted documents were obtained or stored within the company's systems. Furthermore, the Company confirms that the employee was not involved in any of the work or research pertaining to the development of the Company's upcoming F-16 module.

The development of the F-16 and other modules currently in the pipeline will continue in order to further enhance the simulation experience of DCS World. These events will not affect Eagle Dynamics' commitment to its users and faithful community.

Thank you,
Matt Wagner
Senior Producer, Eagle Dynamics SA"
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3910712#post3910712