Xenoblade Chronicles X - RPG of the Year!

Started by Grimnirsson, December 22, 2015, 06:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Hi folks,

just wanted to let you know, if you ever thought about getting a Wii U and so far don't know a game that could be the system seller for you...this should change it. XBCX is the game that blows everything else out of the water no matter the platform. It's HUGE, there are no loading times, it has deep gameplay with several layers regarding level up, classes, weapons, loot etc. and offers an extremely tactical and fun combat system, the 400+ missions in SP plus several coop and asynchronous MP (e.g. the possibility to hire other players/friends avatars to have them in your squad to fight alongside you like in Dragon's Dogma) options will keep you busy for hundreds of hours. If you have all classes maxed out you can mix everything from all these classes to build your personal avatar that matches your play style 100%. I am extremely glad to own a Wii U  :smitten:

This is my avatar hunting monsters at night:

Game has over 60 reviews in on Metacritic and has a solid 84%:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/xenoblade-chronicles-x/critic-reviews

Here are some interesting official videos explaining the game:

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

I have been seeing the commercials for this and it looks great. I was shocked when I learned it was only on the wii u. Still not convinced it's worth buying a console that I otherwise have no use for, though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grimnirsson

Well, why shocked? It's a first party title for the Wii U (and usually Nintendo games belong to the most acclaimed first-party games of any system) and the game pad is essential for this game I'd say. The white Wii U can usually be bought around 200-250 bucks and if you put a 32 Gb USB stick in it you pretty much have the same what the black premium edition offers. There are many cool games to get (often also cheap by now) and new games are still coming (among others the big Zelda open world game coming 2016), so lots of gaming here. If you absolutely hate Nintendo games, ok, then the Wii U isn't worth the money, but otherwise, it's a great system. I am very happy to have the white Wii U sitting next to my 1Tb PS4 and the 360  O0

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

I picked one up today...what other games do you recommend?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

LOL, that was a fast change of mind then  ;D

Actually with Xenoblades you won't need another game for a very long time...but I love ZombiU and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. And Mario Kart 8 is just pure fun, especially on couch coop. These we own but there are other games on my radar, Pikmin 3 , The Wonderful 101,  Bayoneta and Splatoon.

Tell me what your name in the Miiverse (the online community) is and we can then hire each other in Xenoblades :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

Yeah...the skells pushed me over the edge. They look pretty awesome. Not sure when I will get the thing set up. If not tonight, hopefully by Christmas Day. I'm going to shoot for the name Jarhead0331.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

I see...you get the Skell licence after 25 or 30h into the game ;)
I have now around 20h on my clock and my nav com tells me I have explored 8.6% of the first continent on Mira. There are five continents...this game defines huge in a new way. Do you have the white or black Wii U? If the white and you have the disc version of the game then make sure you have a 32 Gb stick at hand. You will have to download 10 Gb of data to install to get the best experience. If you gonna download the game, then these parts are already included but it will of course use even more storage.

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

I have the black version. What does that mean?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

XBCX and Monster Hunter are admittedly the two reasons I would consider getting a WiiU.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grimnirsson

Let's see what Jarhead says about the game, perhaps he can convince you getting one  8)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

I would almost kill for a Monster Hunter game on either PS4 or PC.
I have MH 3U and 4U on the 3DS and I absolutely love them, but I often wish I could play them on a big screen.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I just set the Wii up this morning. Plan on playing some this afternoon and over the long weekend.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

QuoteI would almost kill for a Monster Hunter game on either PS4 or PC.
I have MH 3U and 4U on the 3DS and I absolutely love them, but I often wish I could play them on a big screen.

To kill for...hm..isn't it easier then to simply buy a Wii U?  :coolsmiley:

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

Its an interesting system and an interesting game. I can see myself playing the game off and on for a good while to come. The story line is interesting and the world is huge. I look forward to seeing just how much depth there is to it. I'm little disappointed that I'll have to play for 25 hours before I can pilot a Skell, but I guess that will give me incentive to carry on.  I am having some trouble getting used to the giant control pad. I like the screen mechanics and everything, but why couldn't the controls be consistent with an xbox or PS4 controller...why do the lettered buttons have to be set differently? It would be nice to have some consistency, but I don't hold this against the Wii...the criticism could run both ways, I just happen to be more comfortable with the XBOX and PS controllers. 

I dug up my old Wii games that I'll probably load up at some point too. I really don't see myself playing much else on this...the game catalog and system specs just can't compete with the XBone and PS4, or the PC for that matter.  I justified the purchase by saying I will play games with my daughter once she gets a little older. The Wii may be her gateway into gaming. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog