Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Ok cool, this makes seeing terrain workable enough, 2.0 or 2.5 seems to be the sweet spot:

You can edit the 'hillShadeZoomedOut' value in data\graphics\mapcolors1.xml. The larger the value the more shading there will be.
'hillShadeZoomedIn' is for zoomed in. I'm not sure what's the largest value, but I believe that only a slight increase is needed.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Destraex on November 21, 2019, 03:39:29 AM
I was not trying to have a go. I just wish modern people would stop sounding like bronx gang members and think its great.
Which word which I was not using as an example did I make up?

Even though I am not a boomer, I guess peoples response to my rant might be "ok boomer". :p
Neither was I
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I wish when you selected a unit it automatically displayed the LOS. Then when you clicked on the map to move the unit, the LOS would be from that vantage point. As well as understanding where you were moving your unit (for max or min LOS), that would mean it would display for each waypoint, allowing you to keep your unit out of harms way

And so no-one has to state the obvious, I know real commanders wouldn't have such a thing (though nowadays.....)
Alba gu' brath

Destraex

Agree. Would be great to see auto-LOS options. Perhaps their is one?
Even just holding a button like steel division would be ok.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Destraex on November 22, 2019, 05:08:13 AM
Agree. Would be great to see auto-LOS options. Perhaps their is one?
Even just holding a button like steel division would be ok.
I haven't played much so I may not have come across it...but I thought it wouldn't be an option because there's an actual button.
Alba gu' brath

-budd-

No hold a button for LOS, a toggle might be good. Best you can do now is hit L and left click, and L again for off.

Thanks for the hint on the hillshade zoom adjustment, i just adjusted the zoom out, the zoom in made the terrain look to much like squares. the zoom out adjustment defiantly helps. One more thing to adjust which has helped me is map detail distance, it determines at what height the map switches to that zoomed in view. CTRL+F10 to lower, SHIFT+F10 to raise, find your sweet spot, you can set it to never switch to that zoomed in view if you want.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Veitikka

Armored Brigade has been updated to version 1.051. https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4749512

The recent changes include improved hill shading, 'stylized' icons that can be used instead of the NATO icons, the LOS tool 'preview' mode where you see the results instantly based on your mouse cursor location, the terrain elevation 'profile' tool, and more.

Destraex

Improved hill shading. ! AWEsome!
Hopefully I will have no need to look at the other tools and marry up elevation anymore.
I should only have to check elevation for very specific circumstances.

P.S. I just had a thought. I hope by improved they do not just mean that they edited the settings files like we did.

EDIT: Love the % LOS. Have to play with the terrain shadows again. I wonder if they were reset with the patch.

Veitikka

Quote from: Destraex on January 18, 2020, 06:34:47 PM
Improved hill shading. ! AWEsome!
Hopefully I will have no need to look at the other tools and marry up elevation anymore.
I should only have to check elevation for very specific circumstances.

P.S. I just had a thought. I hope by improved they do not just mean that they edited the settings files like we did.

EDIT: Love the % LOS. Have to play with the terrain shadows again. I wonder if they were reset with the patch.

The .xml values were edited, and also the engine now has more proper limitations for the hill shading modifiers, so terrain doesn't get overly bright or dark anymore if larger .xml values are used or if there are steep elevation differences.

Before:

After:

Veitikka

Destraex

Can you show the zoomed in gradients and shadows? I do not play zoomed out that far.
It does look easier to interpret zoomed out to maximum though. But if I want to see the models and the terrain for managing a flashpoint ( ery specific important engagement on a small part of the map), I will not be able to see quickly if their is a slope to a tanks front. Unless I use the new cursor gradient indicator. But that while an improvment is a fair effort for each individual unit.

WallysWorld

I am still sitting on the fence with this game, but with the GOG discount, I am debating getting it. I already play SPMBT so is this game just like an upgraded version of SPMBT albeit in real time? It doesn't seem to have a campaign so that's a bit of a downer for me.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

al_infierno

Quote from: WallysWorld on January 23, 2020, 12:23:44 PM
I am still sitting on the fence with this game, but with the GOG discount, I am debating getting it. I already play SPMBT so is this game just like an upgraded version of SPMBT albeit in real time? It doesn't seem to have a campaign so that's a bit of a downer for me.

I wouldn't compare it to SPMBT at all.  It's a lot more like Close Combat with a Graviteam approach to unit management.  You do not micro each squad and individual, you give general orders to platoons and companies and they make the tactical decisions for themselves.  You can set standard operating procedures like engagement distances, how to react on fire, pathing, etc.  And while you can give orders to individual squads and vehicles, the command delay is much longer and it becomes very inefficient to say the least.

There are campaigns, but I haven't touched them much so I can't give much details.  I think the game shines in individual scenarios.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Veitikka

Quote from: WallysWorld on January 23, 2020, 12:23:44 PM

There are a few pre-made campaigns, and also the Campaign Generator.

The official Campaign Generator guide: https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/Campaign-Generator-Guide.pdf

The GOG product page could be better than it is, and we're working on getting it updated.

Emir Agic

Quote from: al_infierno on January 23, 2020, 01:40:49 PM

I wouldn't compare it to SPMBT at all.  It's a lot more like Close Combat with a Graviteam approach to unit management.

Yes, but with one huge difference. CC much better simulates behavior of infantry squads.