Scourge of War: Waterloo! announced

Started by steve58, March 24, 2014, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

I love, love, love the sprites in that picture; really enjoy the fact that they went with some with rain covers for the shakos and some not; and I thought EXACTLY the same thing re: the Emperor's Daughters...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Sir Slash

I hear the un-mistakable sounds of loin-moistening.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cyrano

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Skoop

Should be great, looks like it's on schedule for it's original date of release.

Rayfer

We are living in an era of wargaming goodness...not enough time (or for me...money) to enjoy them all.

amandachen

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any trains in the screenshots.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

Well I don't know crap about Napoleanic warfare, including how to spell it, but I've become a huge fan of the SoW games so I see me giving this a shot.

Originally I was against the move to Napoleonic warfare, but given the overflowing cornucopia of ACW mods available for SoW, now I can kind of see the logic behind the move.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

I'm on the other side.  I love the SOW engine but not ACW. So Napoleonic may just entice me to play more of this engine.

Plus these Europeans dress better than the boring Blue and Grey's.

undercovergeek

sandman2575

Quote from: jomni on May 05, 2015, 10:42:43 PM
Plus these Europeans dress better than the boring Blue and Grey's.

Ahem, our finely attired, brightly pantalooned Zouaves would like to have a word with you   8)

I'm in the same boat though. For reasons I can't quite put my finger on, Am. Civil War has never really clicked with me.  Can't say I know a whole lot about the Napoleonic Wars, but the theater is more enticing.  I'll definitely pick SoW Waterloo up.  (Despite my Civil War ambivalence, I actually *really* regret not picking up SoW Anniversary Edition when it was on sale a year ago...)

Skoop

I'm more mood / trend in war gaming themes.  As a teen, I was fanatical about all things civil war, then that grew into Vietnam, then to eastern front WWII.  Now as a more mature war gamer, I still follow the same theme cycle but they only last a few months, then something will release that sparks a new theme for war gaming.

Once SOW Waterloo is released, is see a good napoleanics fixation coming. 

Like jomini, the napoleanic period seems more fascinating and dynamic.  I think that because the civil war is such an important event, the history is drilled into to me to point of been there,done that.  At this point in my wargaming life, napoleanics seem far more refreshing.

Napoleon was the guy that lee and grant studied leading up to the civil war, only seems fitting that SOW tackles this era.

Cyrano

I was a Naps nut from the beginning and remain so.

I'm fascinated by just about every period of warfare, but bringing this engine -- particularly the delayed orders and command in the saddle systems -- "back" to the era where they really belonged, is special for me.  My British friends who are Kriegsspielers are actually willing to put their wee lead blocks down long enough to play SoW MP, so I imagine they'll be especially pleased.

panzerde

A day one buy and almost certainly day one MP with Jim for me  :)

I'm very interested to see how well it handles battles of the scale of a lot of the Napoleonic clashes.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

Is it moddable? I'll do a Meiji restoration mod.  ;D