Main Menu

Weekend Eats

Started by bayonetbrant, March 31, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2012, 03:56:29 PM
The exciting part is it's the first grilled chicken of the season.

Win!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

For sure!  I've been instructed to grill drumsticks by the 5 year old.  However I'll be working some breast into the mix as well.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2012, 04:13:55 PM
However I'll be working some breast into the mix as well.

TMI

Martok

I love fresh spinach leaves. 

That is all. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

•   one package gnocchi (off the shelf... if you use the fresh stuff, you need 2 of the smaller pkgs)
   •   1 tablespoon olive oil
   •   1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
   •   1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
   •   1 clove garlic, finely chopped
   •   1 5-ounce bag baby spinach (or more, if your pan will hold more. more is good)
   •   1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
   •   1/4 teaspoon black pepper
   •   3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmesan, plus more for garnishing

Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling it with a spoon, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, spinach, salt, and pepper and cook, tossing frequently, until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Add the drained gnocchi, the reserved cooking liquid, and the Parmesan and toss. Divide among individual bowls and sprinkle with additional Parmesan.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 27, 2012, 06:06:15 AM
   •   one package gnocchi (off the shelf... if you use the fresh stuff, you need 2 of the smaller pkgs)
   •   1 tablespoon olive oil
   •   1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
   •   1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
   •   1 clove garlic, finely chopped
   •   1 5-ounce bag baby spinach (or more, if your pan will hold more. more is good)
   •   1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
   •   1/4 teaspoon black pepper
   •   3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmesan, plus more for garnishing

Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling it with a spoon, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, spinach, salt, and pepper and cook, tossing frequently, until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Add the drained gnocchi, the reserved cooking liquid, and the Parmesan and toss. Divide among individual bowls and sprinkle with additional Parmesan.

Yum! That's sounds really good. Mind if I steal it?

Barthheart

Tonight we're having Cedar Plank Salmon.

I buy my cedar boards in 8' lengths from any local hardware store, then cut my own lengths as required. Just make sure they are untreated. I use red cdar 1"x6"x8' fence boards.
Cut boards just long enough to fit each salmon fillet and then you can serve it right on their plate for an extra wow factor.
Soak boards, submerged in water, for at least 6-8 hrs. I soak mine over night. More soaking is better because then the boards don't catch fire on your grill.

Get 150g-200g pacific salmon fillets, frech only not frozen, 1 per person.

1 cup of finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped capers
fresh ground pepper to taste
coarse sea salt
olive oil
fresh dill
1 lemon

Mix chopped onion, capers, dill, olive oil. Add pepper and salt to taste. Let sit while prepping the rest.

Pre-heat grill to about 300-325F
Take boards out of water and pat dry. Rub salmon side with olive oil and sea salt.
Place fillets on boards skin side down.
Squeeze some lemon juice on top of the fillets.
Coat fillets top face with onion mix. Make it at least 1/16 1/8" thick.

Place boards with dressed fillets on grill. Make sure grill is at the highest position.
Cook with lid closed for about 20 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through.
Try not to open the lid too often as this lets the wonderful cedar falouring escape.
If the boards catch fire put them out with a hand held water sprayer.

We serve this with:
Basmati rice cooked with butter and fresh parsley
Fresh Asparagus steamed until crunchy done.

Bison

All I know is that tomorrow Household 6 is buying a bunch of steak and on Sunday I'm grilling it.  Somehow I became the damned food closet for the neighborhood.  Not sure what I'll do to prep the steaks, but I've got a couple of dry rub seasoning mixes in the cupboard.  In this case, easy is best.

Bison

I was a grilling genius!  8 hot dogs for the kids grilled at the same time as 8 ribeye steaks.  Every single steak was grilled to medium to medium rare perfection.  I am a fire wielding minor deity!

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 30, 2012, 09:54:07 AM
I was a grilling genius!  8 hot dogs for the kids grilled at the same time as 8 ribeye steaks.  Every single steak was grilled to medium to medium rare perfection.  I am a fire wielding minor deity!

Most excellent.

Bison

I only wish I had time to prep the steak.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 30, 2012, 10:03:02 AM
I only wish I had time to prep the steak.

That's what she said.

Bison

On Saturday, I BBQ burgers through a rain and hail storm.  It was pretty touch and good there for a few minutes as I was fending off burning the burgers while avoiding head trauma from falling ice balls.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on May 07, 2012, 06:15:12 PM
On Saturday, I BBQ burgers through a rain and hail storm.  It was pretty touch and good there for a few minutes as I was fending off burning the burgers while avoiding head trauma from falling ice balls.

Cool!

I've never grilled in hail. I grilled during a robust thunderstorm with lightning a bit too close for comfort, but all's well that grills well.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.