Main Menu

Weekend Eats

Started by bayonetbrant, March 31, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on April 03, 2012, 06:04:14 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 02, 2012, 12:14:00 PM
I cannot wait to break out the grill.

Never put mine away. Nothing like grilling steak at -30C with a parka on!  8)

You, sir, are a man after my own heart.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on April 03, 2012, 09:29:54 AM

Steak just doesn't taste the same if it's not grilled...... 8)

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on April 03, 2012, 09:55:03 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 03, 2012, 09:29:54 AM

Steak just doesn't taste the same if it's not grilled...... 8)

Absolutely.

Centurion40

I didn't start hitting the 2012 grilling season until early March.  Yep, Dec to Feb was grill-less.

But since March it's been grilled pork loin, burgers, chicken and steak!!!

Been using Club House meat marinade on the beef. Not bad.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Bison on April 03, 2012, 06:06:09 AM
My grill unfortunately not readily availible.  /sigh/

Damn. That's sad. I shall raise a glass to your plight...as I grill up a steak.

Fetrik

Grill this and grill that!!

I'm single and thus i i make mainly casteroles. I just made a huge batch with garlic as main seasoning using 2 cans of coconut milk as sauce.

Not as tasty as the local Thai resturant but good enough for me, 6 servings more or less.

Con

My last man toy was a klose custom backyard BBQ smoker. The thing is made out of solid half inch steel on the firebox and quarter everywhere else. It weighs over 1300 pounds. After six years of smoking on a cheap big box store smoker I was ready to upgrade and all the research pointed to getting a klose smoker. Now I can smoke my meat in any weather including gonad shrinking cold :P

Con

Arctic Blast

Making burgers tonight. Prepared a bunch of made from scratch patties, with a mozzarella/cheddar cheese center. I normally throw something a little sharper in there, but kids don't tend to go for that.  ;D

bayonetbrant

had orzo w/ shrimp, feta, basil, and tomatoes last night.

tonight we went out for burgers at the local pub, tho Bayonet Jr had a shrimp po-boy and grandma had the shrimp & grits.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Our entire state was under a no-burn warning as the winds were high, humidity low, and apparently the ground pretty dry.

So our grill has been shut down for a few days.

Today a slight chance of rain is forecast. Hopefully we'll get some as I'm reluctant to grill until I know I won't burn down the neighborhood.

Fetrik

Quote from: LongBlade on April 11, 2012, 08:24:32 AM
Our entire state was under a no-burn warning as the winds were high, humidity low, and apparently the ground pretty dry.

Today a slight chance of rain is forecast. Hopefully we'll get some as I'm reluctant to grill until I know I won't burn down the neighborhood.

Here we had frost during the night and light rain in the afternoon...

Oh man... I had to open a english/swe word book to find words.

I just made a casterole of smoke cured loin of pork (kassler, see? Swedish is easy!!!)
Cooked in cream with white cabbage, onions, paprika, carots and seasoned with Sambal Oelek.
Gah! I forgot to add that i had two kinds of cheese in it too. Thats what brings it from decent to yummy.

LongBlade

Quote from: Fetrik on April 15, 2012, 12:51:41 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 11, 2012, 08:24:32 AM

Here we had frost during the night and light rain in the afternoon...

Oh man... I had to open a english/swe word book to find words.

I just made a casterole of smoke cured loin of pork (kassler, see? Swedish is easy!!!)
Cooked in cream with white cabbage, onions, paprika, carots and seasoned with Sambal Oelek.

Sounds delicious. The Germans call smoked pork something similar - Kassler also, I think.

Today I'm not seeing the anti-burn warning, though the day is actually warmer - the temp is 84 right now (29 for those of you on the metric system). As tempting as it is to grill, I'm going to hold off for a few more days. We're expecting rain Wednesday.

Bison

The grill get it's first use tonight.  First a good cleaning to knock off a years worth of dust and grime. 

I'm looking at doing up some brats and corn on the cob.  Tomorrow is steak followed on Tuesday by burgers.

Bison

I was going to bypass the brats and go straight to the steak.  I almost lost all desire to BBQ.  The steak had gone bad.  Not putrid, but it was bordering on it.  I had to double plastic bag it and take out to the curbside dumpster.  The wife has been put on notice.  I purchase all BBQ meat from this day forward.  No more bargains or deals unless I pick it out the meat. 

Bison

Grilling up some chicken tonight.  Nothing fancy just BBQ sauce.  Also will be grilling up some zucchini and some corn on the cob.

The exciting part is it's the first grilled chicken of the season.