The Krispy Kreme Challenge Run

Started by bayonetbrant, February 08, 2014, 10:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The 10th anniversary of the Krispy Kreme Challenge Run was today here in Raleigh

QuoteWhat is the Krispy Kreme Challenge?

2400 calories, 12 doughnuts, 5 miles, 1 hour.  The mantra of the Krispy Kreme Challenge epitomizes the test of physical fitness and gastrointestinal fortitude.  What started as a challenge among ten friends has transformed into a nationally publicized charity race, and the number one tradition to complete before graduating from North Carolina State University.
February 8, 2014, will see more runners engulf the Memorial Belltower than ever before with our new race participant capacity set for 8,100 racers for the 10th Annual Krispy Kreme Challenge.
Participants begin the Challenge at the Memorial Belltower on the campus of North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC. Runners then travel 2.5 miles through historic downtown Raleigh to the Krispy Kreme located at the intersection of Peace and Person Streets, where they attempt to consume one dozen original glazed doughnuts. The hardest part of the Challenge awaits them as they run 2.5 miles back to the Memorial Belltower. This is the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

SI even put it on their campus bucket list
(written back in '06)
Quote85. Run the Krispy Kreme Challenge at NC State. Two years ago, in a fit of sugar-coated inspiration, Wolfpack basketball guard Chris McCoy dreamed up a race tailor-made for the Peter Griffin set. The plan: Run from the campus bell tower downhill two miles to the Krispy Kreme store in Raleigh, where each runner would scarf down a dozen glazed doughnuts and then dash back uphill to the tower, in under 60 minutes. (The irony: McCoy, a redshirt sophomore, overslept on race day and didn't participate.) The other 10 runners successfully completed the inaugural race -- junior Ben Gaddy took home bragging rights -- but not without some gut reactions. "The first two doughnuts are delicious, but then your saliva starts to turn into a syrupy glaze," says organizer Greg Mulholland. "When you're running back, it feels like the syrup's coming through your pores." Mulholland, a junior, aspires to turn the race into a charitable event, "maybe for something ironic like the American Heart Association."

I actually finished the race back in 2008, right after I moved back. (photos from the year I ran)

Part of the fun are the costumes people show up to run in

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

more photos

they raised $177k for the local childrens' hospital
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

steve58

Love Krispy Kreme doughnuts!  I grew up with them in W-S, NC (home of Krispy Kreme). 

+100 on the fund raiser. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

That's cool!

Blue Bell (the ice cream company) puts on a 5K every year about an hour or two west of us. After you finish, they give you all the Blue Bell ice cream you can eat.

Martok

Okay, that's frickin' awesome.  Not sure I could do it, but I'll admit to a somewhat perverse admiration for those who have (so congrats brant)! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

I have eaten a dozen donuts in a sitting (though not in some time). I cannot imagine running afterwards. Hell, I can barely imagine STANDING afterwards.

Centurion40

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 08, 2014, 04:57:19 PM
I have eaten a dozen donuts in a sitting (though not in some time). I cannot imagine running afterwards. Hell, I can barely imagine STANDING afterwards.

I'd run half-way, then cab it from the Krispy Kreme.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

It's going on outside my classroom right now...

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

trailrunner

That's my kind of race.  I'll add that to my list of reasons to retire in the RDU area.

One of the things liked about ultras was that for MOPers (middle-of-the-packers) like me, we would eat normal food during the race.  If I'm going to be out there for a long time, I want something other than gels, energy bars, and sports drinks.  Small pieces of candy, pretzels, PBJ sandwich wedges, boiled potatoes, and cookies were typical of rest-stop offerings.  And sometimes there was more.  During one race, I was in the woods, more or less alone, when I came across a tequila bottle hanging from a tree, with a sign that said: "TBM - tequila bonus miles - one bonus mile for every shot."

Sir Slash

By 'finish' does that include driving the race? Cause I could do that with a Krispy Kreme in one hand.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

Emeraldlis

That's really cool  8) well done for having the ...uhm....stomach for it !!! I wanna throw up just running two miles never mind adding doughnuts into the mix , lol , that must have been a ton of fun to do though :) I love all the costumes , I hope y'all made it to the finish line , costumed or otherwise  :bd: I think it's great that a 29 yr old guy won as well , that's a little embarrassing for all those young whipper snapper students who entered ....hehehe  <:-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

I ran it in '08. For the past three years, I've been teaching a Saturday morning class on the same day as the race. It's actually a pain in the butt to get to the building where I teach because of the roads that are closed for them to hold the race