Rift is going free to play

Started by Huw the Poo, May 14, 2013, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Incidentally, you can play for free right now courtesy of Rift Lite (sic).  It lets you play for free to level 20 and I'm pretty sure the character limit is 5, so altogether that gives you more than enough scope to try out the different callings and souls to get a feel for how you want to play.

I recommend a Cleric to begin with, as I think it's the most versatile calling.  And as for faction, I recommend Defiant - this is purely personal; I think that the Defiants have the better lore and capital city. :)

I had to (briefly) queue to get in this evening!  :o  Clearly word has spread quickly.  It brought a tear to my eye to see so many people in a low-level zone working together to fight off an invasion!

Huw the Poo

Rift has gone free to play early for anyone who already owns a copy.

I've been playing all week and I'm smitten all over again.  There are now players everywhere!  It feels like a freshly-launched game!  I've rarely closed a rift by myself, and when the zone events occur I find myself in a raid group before I can blink.  Swarms of us, tearing across the (beautiful) countryside, fighting off invaders and defending wardstones.  Oh god it's glorious.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again - Rift is best in its class.  No theme-park-style MMO comes close in my opinion.  It has the beautiful world, the lore, the fantastic soul system, plenty of loot, customisable as hell, etc etc.  Everything you'd expect from a modern MMO...and, in contrast to the otherwise-excellent Guild Wars 2, skills that are actually a joy to use.  None of this "blind your enemy for a whole second" crap here, no, this is powerful stuff that allows you to take out groups of mobs at a time in spectacular ways if you play correctly.

I'll post more thoughts/answer any questions if there's any interest.

I love this game. :)

undercovergeek

hes gone - lost to an MMO again!

Huw the Poo

Kushan

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 08, 2013, 04:07:06 AM
Rift has gone free to play early for anyone who already owns a copy.

I've been playing all week and I'm smitten all over again.  There are now players everywhere!  It feels like a freshly-launched game!  I've rarely closed a rift by myself, and when the zone events occur I find myself in a raid group before I can blink.  Swarms of us, tearing across the (beautiful) countryside, fighting off invaders and defending wardstones.  Oh god it's glorious.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again - Rift is best in its class.  No theme-park-style MMO comes close in my opinion.  It has the beautiful world, the lore, the fantastic soul system, plenty of loot, customisable as hell, etc etc.  Everything you'd expect from a modern MMO...and, in contrast to the otherwise-excellent Guild Wars 2, skills that are actually a joy to use.  None of this "blind your enemy for a whole second" crap here, no, this is powerful stuff that allows you to take out groups of mobs at a time in spectacular ways if you play correctly.

I'll post more thoughts/answer any questions if there's any interest.

I love this game. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself Huw. Downloading now. The soul system is the best class system in any MMO IMO. IIRC I have characters on two servers, two clerics and a rogue. Going to start a new character from the beginning though. If anyone wants to start a grogheads guild in the NA region let me know.

Haven't read through this whole thread, but what is their new business model? From what I've read they are not going to let players pay to win. So I'm assuming they are going the GW2 route and selling cosmetic items? XP boosters and the like probably as well.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

republic

Huw has converted me....downloading now.  :)

Huw the Poo

Just a warning, free to play doesn't properly begin until June 12 if you haven't previously bought the game.  However you can still play for free to level 20 until then.

republic

GetGamesGo has Rift for $3.74, I'm thinking of picking it up.     http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/rift

Huw the Poo

Quote from: republic on June 08, 2013, 09:15:24 AM
GetGamesGo has Rift for $3.74, I'm thinking of picking it up.     http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/rift

Do it!  The portion of the 30 days that are unused when Rift goes free to play will be converted into some sort of loyalty reward.

Kushan

I'm on the Seastone server.

Guardians:

Alalla - 47 Cleric
Frejya - 1 Warrior
Venir - 1 mage

Defiant:

Alatheia - 50 Cleric
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Nefaro

For some reason, I enjoyed the Guardian side more than Defiant despite the latter having a less traditional storyline.

Can't recall what server my characters were on, but I'll probably fire it up soon to get my bearings again.

Kushan

Quote from: Nefaro on June 08, 2013, 08:25:01 PM
For some reason, I enjoyed the Guardian side more than Defiant despite the latter having a less traditional storyline.

So did I. I normally play the "bad" faction in MMO's. Played Horde characters on WoW, Sith in SWToR. But for some reason the Defiant storyline never really clicked with me.

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

SgtRock

Well after 4 level 80 characters, 400 crafting in all areas, 100% map completion, 600 honor badges in WvW, I'm pretty much done with Guild Wars 2. Been looking for something new, now that I didn't to pick up CMFI/Gustav, I'll have to give Rift a try later this week.

Nefaro

I dunno.  The same 'ole same fantasy MMO stuff just isn't tickling my whiskers at the moment.

I think I'm gonna do some SW:TOR instead.  While the character system isn't as flexible, at least I get to shoot people with a blaster.

You guys are spread out all over the Rift servers, too.  Will someone be having a guild, here, at some point?

Huw the Poo

I'd be quite happy to set up a Grogheads guild, but it would have to be on Icewatch which is a European server.

I couldn't even log in tonight; free to play finally happened and the servers got absolutely hammered.

Nef, good luck with SW:TOR.  Have you played it before?  I found it boring as hell - one of the worst MMO's I've played in fact (still better than WoW though).