Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Shooting the sun with a sextant.

Phone call about 1972.
"Do you carry an A-10 Sextant?"
Gasp!  "A what tent?"
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteHSwMS Vale (P155) in 1982

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteA USMC AV-8B Harrier launches from the flight deck of the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) during flight operations in the Mediterranean Sea. Apr. 2005.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteThe Grand Fleet's 2nd and 6th (US Navy) Battle Squadrons steam out of Rosyth on a dark day in Scotland, 1918. Photo taken from HMS Queen Elizabeth.

besilarius

USS Grayback preparing a Regulus missile for launch.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

As of 2007, Parche was said to be "the most highly decorated vessel in U.S. history", receiving a total of nine Presidential Unit Citations and ten Navy Unit Commendations. The submarine also received thirteen Navy Expeditionary Medals during her thirty years of service.

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth

QuoteUS Navy SEALs and divers from SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team (SDVT) 1 swim back to USS Michigan (SSGN-727) during an exercise for certification on SEAL delivery vehicle operations in the southern Pacific Ocean, 2012

mirth

QuoteAircraft carrier Houshou with landing biplane fighter underway off the coast of Shanghai, China 1932

mirth

QuoteThe guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG 60) approaches the guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) for a sail pass while under way in the Indian Ocean.

mirth

QuoteAircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) transits the Mediterranean Sea alongside aircraft carrier FS Charles de Gaulle (R91).

mirth

QuoteGerman predreadnought battleship SMS Elsass in Kiel

mirth

QuoteSeawolf-Class attack submarine USS Connecticut (SSN 22) and the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74)