The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

It was so out of place tonally with the rest of the movie.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I honestly didn't like any of the Bat[sound]tracks until Batman begins.

About to purchase Arkham Knight.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

That opening scene has one of his songs in it that plays briefly as the camera pans across the mass of people, before it moves to the movie theater. It sounded absolutely out of place.

Sorry to jack up the sales thread with Batman movie talk. To the point of the games, I own one of them (I think it's Arkham Asylum), and it's not bad. I never finished it but it did give me a few hours of enjoyment.

I had gotten Injustice: Gods Among Us as well a while ago even though I'm not into fighting games...especially button-mashing or combo-pushing BS, but that one's occasionally fun.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 25, 2017, 08:19:50 PM
I think he's referring to the Clooney suit from Batman Forever, Gus.

Unless you're being fecal-setious, of course.

I believe there's a feature in the latest Batman game (the one Gus is thinking of buying) that lets you select your batsuit from all the comics, TV, and movies.

I never got the game.  Loved the first one, Arkham Asylum.  Felt the second was OK but that they tried to push the sandbox thing too much and the story suffered as each of the villains didn't get enough "screen" time.  Third was better but still a little too spread out.  I never got the last one as the reviews I read were lukewarm. 

jamus34

Best Opening to a game - Shadow Warrior 2...can't beat The Touch by Stan Bush  ;D
Insert witty comment here.

Martok

Quote from: Rayfer on April 21, 2017, 10:50:26 AM
Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2017, 08:07:11 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 20, 2017, 08:06:11 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2017, 08:00:58 PM
I...never played Starcraft.

+1

+2

I never played Warcraft either.

+3....and never intend to, even at the free price-point.  My 65 year old brain can't handle those hectic, frantic click-fest RTS games.  :hide:
Another bloke who's never played Starcraft, nor will I. 

Not that I have anything against the game; it's actually always held a certain fascination for me.  It's simply that, at this point in my life, RTS titles no longer appeal to me very much (largely due to their aforementioned frantic click-fest nature).  On the occasions that I *do* find myself jonesing for a little RTS action, well that's what I have my old friend Red Alert 2 for.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I've played both Warcraft and Starcraft, back in the day. I enjoyed both immensely.

Greybriar

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 26, 2017, 08:23:39 AM
I've played both Warcraft and Starcraft, back in the day. I enjoyed both immensely.

So did I. But WarCraft: Orcs & Humans was released in 1994 and StarCraft was released in 1998. I'm older and slower now. :P
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Greybriar on April 26, 2017, 08:42:25 PM
So did I. But WarCraft: Orcs & Humans was released in 1994 and StarCraft was released in 1998. I'm older and slower now. :P

Right there with you...those were the two I meant, the originals. I especially loved Warcraft; I think that was the first 4x-type game I'd ever played. I wonder if it could run on a modern PC.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 27, 2017, 06:13:42 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on April 26, 2017, 08:42:25 PM

Right there with you...those were the two I meant, the originals. I especially loved Warcraft; I think that was the first 4x-type game I'd ever played. I wonder if it could run on a modern PC.

Warcraft a 4x game?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2017, 10:33:15 AM
Warcraft a 4x game?
Some people have really bizarre definitions of what constitutes a 4x game.  Perhaps our BC is one of them.  ??? 

Over on the Explorminate forums, a disturbingly large minority insist that all Total War and Paradox titles (not just Stellaris) are 4x games.  Hell, some argue that pretty much *all* strategy games are also 4x games.  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tpek

Oh man, that awesome classical Batman music.

They even used it for the animated series (the good one from the 90's), and the Lego Batman games :)

Btw,
Clooney wasn't in Batman Forever, that was Val Kilmer.
Clooney was in Batman&Robin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112462/?ref_=nv_sr_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118688/?ref_=nv_sr_1

JasonPratt

Gus,

It's probably too late for an opinion now, but as a major fanboi for the Arkham series:

1.) Knight, as far as gameplay, is arguably the best. It also has the largest open world map. The story is fine, but you will run into some major spoilers referencing prior games. It has the best suite of DLC, including sequel and prequel mission packs. Arguably it isn't the best game to start on, though, simply due to the expanded complexity of all the bat-gear available. Its graphic optimization is notorious on PC, but even at minimum gfx it looks great. As with all the Arkham games, there are conceptual nods to the beloved DC Animated Universe, including the key voice actors who are almost universally great.

I don't actually recommend starting here, though.

2.) There are five Arkham games, but one of them, Origins: Blackgate is quite skippable, mainly important for being Batman's first encounters with Catwoman in this continuity. It's a 2-D platformer with Arkham game mechanics ported in. I kind of recommend watching a movie compilation on Youtube and skipping it. The art design on the cut-scenes seems intentionally hideous.

3.) Origins, naturally, starts the story (somewhat in media res, because Batman has already been operating for 2 years). I like it a lot, but again it had major gfx problems on PC release and like Knight they have never been entirely resolved. It isn't the easiest Arkham game, but you can play through and beat the whole thing using a minimum of bat-gear if you want. You should play the Cold, Cold Heart sequel DLC which introduces Mr. Freeze. Chronologically, the next "entry" would be the Matter of Family DLC for Knight, which focuses on Batgirl teaming up with the latest Robin for the first time.

4.) So the story order is Origins, ColdHeart, Blackgate, Matter of Family, Asylum, City, Harley's Revenge (City DLC sequel), the Harley prequel DLC for Knight, then Knight (make sure to get the full pack with the dlc expansions, which contain some important side missions during the main campaign), then various Knight epilogue DLC.

5.) Asylum was the first game, and is by far the easiest to play. It's also the most focused, and features a great haunted-house / Halloween atmosphere. I recommend either it or Origins first. Some people still regard this as the best game in the series, and I can understand why.

6.) A lot of people regard City as the best in the series, and I can understand why. ;) But naturally I don't recommend starting here.

7.) Oh, there's also an Arkham VR game but don't bother with it. It's a prequel to Knight, and very skippable, not least because it's a crazy mindgame story. It makes sense in context, but takes a lot of work in context to figure out what's really going on. I'm not sure it's possible to play without VR gear anyway.

8.) If you do play Origins, don't bother trying to get all the Riddler crap -- you don't need all the extra xp, and his side of the story can be beat without it, and the result is insultingly poor by design. (He isn't in Blackgate.) Don't bother trying to get all the Riddler crap in Asylum either, as the result is simply Batman and Oracle doing what they would have been doing anyway: tracing his broadcast somewhere offsite and calling the police to go get him. You don't have to 100% his challenges in City to beat him either (you can sub in some of the Catwoman challenges to make up the difference), and it's worth doing -- but it may not be possible to beat him until the aftergame, and trying to do so earlier breaks the story flow annoyingly. You do have to get all his challenges to beat him decisively in Knight, which again may not be possible before the aftergame and tends to break storyflow badly. I think the ending is worth it, but the fanbase is divided on this.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Oh Jesus Lord.

Well, my definition of 4x was perhaps off the mark. It was the first expand-exploit-exterminate game I'd played, though. Potato, potatoe.  :)

Gusington

Thanks Pratt. I bought Arkham Knight two nights ago...but Arkham Origins is still on sale for 5 dollah. You recommend getting that and starting there?

A few weeks ago I was ready to buy a hard copy of the Arkham trilogy for 40.00 from Amazon so for 5 dollah this is kinda no brainer...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd