Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

^LOL - nice solution, though. :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Back to sales: it may get overlooked easily thanks to the ongoing Steam Summer Sale, but GoG (just after its summer sale) has released Homeworld: Emergence, which is the retitled Homeworld: Cataclysm, for under $10. A lot of fans were annoyed when the recent Remastered Homeworlds didn't include Cata, but GoG has been able to secure exclusive rights to it! -- and it's a standalone engine instead of needing original HW.

Unfortunately, this isn't a "remastered" Cataclysm: highest res is a little over 720, technically hi def but not really by PC standards.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jamus34

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 24, 2017, 02:48:04 PM
Back to sales: it may get overlooked easily thanks to the ongoing Steam Summer Sale, but GoG (just after its summer sale) has released Homeworld: Emergence, which is the retitled Homeworld: Cataclysm, for under $10. A lot of fans were annoyed when the recent Remastered Homeworlds didn't include Cata, but GoG has been able to secure exclusive rights to it! -- and it's a standalone engine instead of needing original HW.

Unfortunately, this isn't a "remastered" Cataclysm: highest res is a little over 720, technically hi def but not really by PC standards.

I saw that and was confused. Last I heard the master for HW:C was lost which was the reason it wasn't remastered
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

Guess they found it! -- although they may not have the master files, perhaps, just the production files for playing the game?

Evidently a big problem was that Blizzard Studios filed an injunction (and won it!?!?) to keep whoever owns the rights from re-releasing the game because of the word "Cataclysm" in the title, so as not to compete with Warcraft: Cattackalysm ;) at the time. To me that sounds like an urban legend, but it's in GoG's little article announcing they got hold of the game, so...  :-"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jamus34

if this is true, let me get this straight...Blizzard filed an injunction against something that already existed and predated their IP...and won???

I mean I know our copyright laws are screwed up but Whole-y-Sheet that is some bullschnit.
Insert witty comment here.

Staggerwing

Quote from: jamus34 on June 24, 2017, 06:23:22 PM
if this is true, let me get this straight...Blizzard filed an injunction against something that already existed and predated their IP...and won???

I mean I know our copyright laws are screwed up but Whole-y-Sheet that is some bullschnit.

That's happened before. A major studio wants to avoid confusion with some a-list game it has coming out and so it sues small companies who already have games with similar titles, promising to bury the little guys in legal fees even if they are in the right. Business sense says just change the name and avoid paying lawyers more money than your niche game may actually make. IIRC, both Slitherine ('Battlefield Academy') and Cornered Rat Studios ('Battlefield Europe: WW2OL') were threatened with massive lawsuits by EA for having games with 'Battlefield' in the title, even though at least one of the former had been using the title since developing their game in the late 90's and releasing it in 2001, and EA's first Battlefield game didn't come out until 2002.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: jamus34 on June 24, 2017, 06:23:22 PM

Yes, indeed!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Humble Bundle's got a sale going on right now.  Prices are a little bit lower than those available on the Steam summer sale.  I think I might grab Mad Max and Winds of Trade.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/filter/onsale/sort/discount/page/0

BanzaiCat

Dammit, someone must have screwed up over at Bundle Stars yesterday. I saw Euro Truck Simulator for 0.49 US, but in the Steam app on my PC, it was 4.99 US. I see they've fixed it now.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 27, 2017, 03:11:44 PM
Humble Bundle's got a sale going on right now.  Prices are a little bit lower than those available on the Steam summer sale.  I think I might grab Mad Max and Winds of Trade.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/filter/onsale/sort/discount/page/0

I've been thinking about buying Winds Of Trade for awhile but it being in Early Access has caused me to hold off.

By the way, I'm showing its cost is $8.99 at both Humble Bundle and Steam.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Pete Dero

Scourge of War Series is 50 percent off!

Take Gettysburg 150th Anniversary Collection, Gettysburg, Pipe Creek, Antietam, Chancellorsville and Brandy Station 50% off!The offer lasts from June 30th to July 3rd and is valid for both digital and physical editions of the games!

IMPORTANT! Scourge of War: Waterloo, Quatre Bras, Wavre, Ligny are not part of this offer.
   (but are on sale on Steam for 50% off ....)

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2277/Scourge.of.War.Series.is.50.percent.off!

bbmike

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 30, 2017, 07:56:14 AM

Take Gettysburg 150th Anniversary Collection, Gettysburg, Pipe Creek, Antietam, Chancellorsville and Brandy Station 50% off!The offer lasts from June 30th to July 3rd and is valid for both digital and physical editions of the games!

IMPORTANT! Scourge of War: Waterloo, Quatre Bras, Wavre, Ligny are not part of this offer.

Now that is very tempting since I don't own any of the series.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Manassassas

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 30, 2017, 07:56:14 AM

Yeah, great timing Matrix - just after I spent all my spare cash at the Steam sale. Why not announce this a few days earlier?

Shelldrake

DRM-Freedom sale at Humble Bundle if you missed the GOG summer sale and still have $ to spend.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/drm-freedom-sale?partner=PCGamer
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell