The Go Bag

Started by GDS_Starfury, August 23, 2012, 09:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:07:28 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 30, 2015, 08:50:06 PM
Not bad for $20.

There's a joke here somewhere

Hmmm. You're right. But who? $20 is far too much for a trick with Star. Clearly not enough for Gus. While the price is right for Mirth, he brought up the subject.

Who are we forgetting?

Ah, yes. Smuck.

Shave and a blow job...twenty bucks.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

^That was well reasoned.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Thanks guys. 
No idea why I'm so obsessed with this that I keep coming back to it...

Something I forgot to mention is that you should pack some extra batteries for the lights, but that should come from your existing at-home stock rather than buy it.

What you get is some emergency shelter tools (rope + tarp), light / locators, warmth, and the ability to stay / keep things dry.
That'll get you through 24-48 hours before you need to start using more 'things' that what's in this bag.

For your next $10, I think you look into
-- Compass
-- Hatchet with a squared-off back that can be used as a hammer (eventually upgrade this to a FUBAR or something similar)
-- Can opener (P38 FTW!)
-- At least one load-bearing carabiner that you can use for leverage/pulley to move heavy stuff if you need to
-- More rope / upgrade the original rope
-- Basic small pair of screwdrivers (1 ea –/+)  (free in a 6-pack from Harbor Freight, just take the mid-size of each)
-- Second tarp - now you can make an impromptu tent and not just a lean-to (free from Harbor Freight)

The additional 'free' upgrades - from existing stock @ home - are the following
-- 1 gallon ziploc w/ a full change of clothes: shirt, shorts, socks / underwear, and an extra pair of underwear (you also move your extra socks into this bag from the other one)
-- small hard-plastic box (tupperware-ish) for the matches, batteries, spare keys, etc
-- quart-size ziploc with photocopies and digital geek-stick copies (PDFs) of all your important documents: birth certs, passports, DLs, deeds, etc
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

You forgot the hookers.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:39:16 PM
You forgot the hookers.

for $30, you're not going to get any you'd want, even in an emergency
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 09:40:20 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 09:39:16 PM
You forgot the hookers.

for $30, you're not going to get any you'd want, even in an emergency

Oh how you overestimate me.

bayonetbrant

I'll stop trying to compliment you, then ;)

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 10:36:58 PM
I'll stop trying to compliment you, then ;)

That's better.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

This is a very tempting deal for an emergency home kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AXLUX2/