Main Menu

The Go Bag

Started by GDS_Starfury, August 23, 2012, 09:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

Starfury
you forgot the condoms on your list ;D  ;)

i 'live' in my go-bag  ...in opposite to many wooden US housings its build of brick, concrete and iron and has a full cellar. its 300m above sealevel, not on a hilltop (gusts) and not in a valley (flooding)...   
i also have a 600l fuel-oil tank for some old heatings, which i could use in the Landcruiser (would be a tax-felony but who cares in emergency) lots of bottled water, beer and wine naturally stored too...

when its get too 'medieval' or even 'stone age' i can still pack and hike in the night to the nearby Schloss Burg (i posted a aerial shot somewhere in Zombi-fun threads), its the best place for that kind of 'back to the past' hard times...   there is a river, creeks, springs, caves, woods...  and i know the the lay of the land ... the rest is trying to remembering all those Bear Grylls episodes  ;) (the parts that are not faked ::))

what i really would need to stock up is a Generator, but one which runs on 'everything that burns' 
....for a day or two power outage, which would be the most likely situation in my neck of the woods   
in addition to blocked roads by snow or a Kyrill-like winter-storm   

btw.  i have water, a blanket, some tarp, a saw wire, a short spade and a magnesium firestarter kit in the truck   

undercovergeek

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

emergencies done happen when you expect them to.  SHTF at the most inopprotune times.  thats why its when SHTF.
its also not some nutcase idea of a zombie break out.  no track right now shows this storm not hitting south Florida. 
Ive already seen the end results of some crap like Andrew of Katinra.  its frikin weird to see  NG troops on the intersections
of your backyard when theres no power, no ice and no food.  to me having a plan and the equipment to carry it out is
just a basic responsibility.

Yeah, my fault.... Coming from an island where the most dangerous weather related incident is going to be getting poked in the eye by an umberella its easy to forget what you guys have to go through.

My first thought was that you were expecting some apocalyptic zombie scenario or red dawn! 

bob48

+1 I was worried that they knew something that we did'nt and were about to head for one of the Grog bunkers without telling us :-))
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:18:36 AMwaterproof watch
you might want to pack more than one.  just saying :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 25, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

emergencies done happen when you expect them to.  SHTF at the most inopprotune times.  thats why its when SHTF.
its also not some nutcase idea of a zombie break out.  no track right now shows this storm not hitting south Florida. 
Ive already seen the end results of some crap like Andrew of Katinra.  its frikin weird to see  NG troops on the intersections
of your backyard when theres no power, no ice and no food.  to me having a plan and the equipment to carry it out is
just a basic responsibility.

Tru dat.

Star, to save you some time on the first aid kit, just blow $20 or $30 on a commercial one. It has pretty much everything you need (maybe not enough of it, but a good start).

I would add to your go kit at least two five gallon cans of gas. Chances are you will be responsible enough to leave before the masses do, but having seen the mess that Houston was in when everyone waited too long, I can foresee the possibility of getting clogged on the highway and running out of fuel at the same time as everyone else. In that scenario, the local gas stations will run out of gas quickly. Having an extra ten gallons to move past the masses could make the difference in getting the heck out of Dodge.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

there arent many emergencies where Im going to get on the highway and deal with another million assholes with the same idea.
Im pretty secure where Im at.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 26, 2012, 05:22:42 AM
there arent many emergencies where Im going to get on the highway and deal with another million assholes with the same idea.

Fair enough. That goes back to my "stay bag" rather than a go bag.

Toonces

I always have a pair of Viper surf fins in my car.  Nothing worse than having epic surf and no way to catch some waves.  Along with my Kindle, those are the two items I simply will not go anywhere without.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I agree with this.  I have a "go basement," which is probably one of the most heavily armed and well stocked locations on Long Island.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

reading a Kindle while surfing.....sounds like some sort of library fetishist's erotic fan fic.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2012, 05:07:52 PM

I agree with this.  I have a "go basement," which is probably one of the most heavily armed and well stocked locations on Long Island.

As long as it isn't major flooding you should be fine :)

Seriously though, how big of a risk is the possibility major flooding on Long Island?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GDS_Starfury

LOL  Ill let JH tell that story.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

bayonetbrant

I've been revisiting the idea of my various go-bags / everyday carry / car bags in large part b/c I have some re-packing to do in the car now that I need to change sizes on the kids clothes in there, and I'm keeping more munchies in there for when my daughter and I are cruising around

I'll posts some lists / thoughts / photos later