Which Grogs are in Scotland?

Started by bayonetbrant, May 30, 2018, 07:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I know JD is from Scotland, but doesn't live there now. And Bawb is close, but not actually in Scotland

Any of y'all live there?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Did you say 'Scotland' or 'Scotch-Land'? Cause I got a Visitor's Visa for the latter.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

bob48

I was going to say Asid, but then I remembered...him no post here anymo!

I think maybe Father Ted is north of the border?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

Who here likes sheep. REALLY likes the. That could be the give-away.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

em2nought

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 31, 2018, 07:03:10 PM
Who here likes sheep. REALLY likes the. That could be the give-away.  ::)

There was this Seaman in Deck Division while at the Holy Loch.  After that we were known as Boooooooooooat Ops spoken in the very best Billy Goat Gruff voice that you could muster.  It was totally embarrassing., and yet hilarious!  :DD
Stolen elections have consequences.

Sir Slash

Did the sheep follow him every where he went or run from him?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 06, 2018, 02:58:52 PM
You know you're getting your Welsh and Scottish mixed up, right?  ;)
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

While we're talking about Scotland, I had a question for JD.

I'm re-reading Nigel Tranter's Bruce Trilogy again.  I just finished the part where Bruce slays the Red Comyn in the church.  In Tranter's version, Comyn strikes Bruce and insults him and his wife, and Bruce - in a rage like temporary insanity - pulls his dirk and stabs Comyn in the chest.

However, I read another book about Bruce, written from the first person perspective of Sir James Douglas, and in that version Comyn attacks Bruce and essentially impales himself on the dirk.

What's the official Scottish stance on this?   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

I like toast.  :2funny:

Sorry - I have no idea. When I was at school we weren't taught Scottish history...we were taught British history. All I know (which is very little) has come from various readings and discussions over the years.

I should read more about Scottish history, but I was all wrapped up in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, The Falklands and the Cold War and I'm a very slooooooooooooow reader. A 300 page book will typically take me 6 months to read  :-[

What little I do know of The Bruce (from various things picked up over the years) is that he was generally considered quite a ruthless bastard. So it's entirely possible Comyn was lured for murder to be comitted

I'm very impressed you are reading about Scotland though  O0
Alba gu' brath

em2nought

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 06, 2018, 02:58:52 PM

He wasn't a Boatswain so no pied piper thing going on. lol  I think he would sneak up on them at night when he could blend in.  ;)
Stolen elections have consequences.

Sir Slash

And here all this time I thought wool chafed too badly.

Toonces

I was about to totally roll in on you JD, until I realized I've never read a complete and total accounting of the U.S. revolutionary war.

You get a reluctant pass.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs