Main Menu

FrostPunk

Started by PanzersEast, April 24, 2018, 01:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Anyone feeling frosty?  Some of the reviews I have read and watched seem to give this one a green light.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MikeGER

i have it and i started that instead of jumping into Battletech last eve
(until BT is sorted out a little and more info -esp about the AI, of which i heard bad things-  is dropping in and so i can still refund the Mechs, if its a dud)

i am only 2.6h into Frostpunk but i liked what i saw so far. :)
I am not much further in the storyline then what i have seen in a German preview Let's Play (up to episode #10) that i had used as a tutorial and to make my mind up   

its very immersing and i like the dystopian atmosphere.
you already have to make some hard 'social politics' decision early in game so, and it seams that will continue to happen ...even so its about Frost its not for "snowflakes" ;)
so i have child labor, but i send those kids only to a gathering hut i have build near two coal depots and not collecting in the open and gave that building a heater and also build a medical tent early on as a tradeoff ... i just needed the additional 15 workers.
the 15 engineers are reserved for research (i have two of those buildings) and the medical station 

i am on day 3 and have only lost 1 guy so far in a work accident, and has my first recon team out exploring the first site on the large map.  all have housing, and i have no ill, or hungry ...so now the real game starts now were i managed to have a bridgehead/basecamp to operate from. 
i also have a sawmill and a steelwork researched, collecting on the surface will end soonish and so i am prepared for at least the expected.

The release version seams to be more honed and has more features and gives more feedback in the UI then the press prerelease version i saw in the Lets Play, which is a good thing.

A little bit early to judge but, I reckon i will get my bang for the buck even if i (manage to) play it through one time   

Zulu1966

Quote from: MikeGER on April 25, 2018, 01:00:21 AM
i have it and i started that instead of jumping into Battletech last eve
(until BT is sorted out a little and more info -esp about the AI, of which i heard bad things-  is dropping in and so i can still refund the Mechs, if its a dud)

i am only 2.6h into Frostpunk but i liked what i saw so far. :)
I am not much further in the storyline then what i have seen in a German preview Let's Play (up to episode #10) that i had used as a tutorial and to make my mind up   

its very immersing and i like the dystopian atmosphere.
you already have to make some hard 'social politics' decision early in game so, and it seams that will continue to happen ...even so its about Frost its not for "snowflakes" ;)
so i have child labor, but i send those kids only to a gathering hut i have build near two coal depots and not collecting in the open and gave that building a heater and also build a medical tent early on as a tradeoff ... i just needed the additional 15 workers.
the 15 engineers are reserved for research (i have two of those buildings) and the medical station 

i am on day 3 and have only lost 1 guy so far in a work accident, and has my first recon team out exploring the first site on the large map.  all have housing, and i have no ill, or hungry ...so now the real game starts now were i managed to have a bridgehead/basecamp to operate from. 
i also have a sawmill and a steelwork researched, collecting on the surface will end soonish and so i am prepared for at least the expected.

The release version seams to be more honed and has more features and gives more feedback in the UI then the press prerelease version i saw in the Lets Play, which is a good thing.

A little bit early to judge but, I reckon i will get my bang for the buck even if i (manage to) play it through one time   

Is there any military side to this or just pure survival for your group?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MikeGER

Quote from: Zulu1966 on April 25, 2018, 02:21:29 AM

Is there any military side to this or just pure survival for your group?

AFAIK no military, and i also didn't saw any traces of that yet... 

personally i hope there will be some 'marauders' out in late game, who like to do a raid on my settlement and i have to build some defenses against such events, and maybe i can send out a raiding party in addition to the explorer party to another settlement too to steal some resources and kidnap workers, but i guess that would be it.
and then there will be no control over 'units' beside maybe size of party send out, and number of workers send to a 'guard structure' or something... so would be only a tiny aspect in the game anyway, when a player chose to spiral down the baddy path

well, i guess from the artdesign decision its so f-ing cold that 'raiders' without a basecamp cant survive a night.
and the civilisation is so on the borderline to extinction that settlements rather work together then fight over things.
also take into account Afaik so far all people are Brits from London (and long before the 'diversity' of our times had set in and formed sub-cultures, where in our dystopia flogs of the same feather would fled and settled together leading to possible fighting factions later)

Steelgrave

It's on my wishlist as well, but here's the thing....it's made by the same folks who made This War of Mine and seems to share some elements. I've already heard it compared to TWoM by reviewers. War scored a lot of kudos, I thought it was original and immersive, but...here is my short review of War on Steam:

Well done, innovative, thought provoking, brutal, immersive......those are the good points and they are well earned.

So is soul-crushing, depressing, thin characters, too few options.

The game is brilliant in many ways. It can be heartbreaking, which is genius in it's own right... but not fun. It would be a great social tool for teaching how war is about more than tanks and planes. It is supposed to be depressing and I get that part. It captures what many live through every day in our world. But witnessing the civilians under your care commit suicide or run off despite you doing everything you can to support them....I'm not sure that I see the "game" in that.

Thumbs up as an object lesson for the horrors of war.
Thumbs down as a game.

I love everything dystopian, and I may yet pull the trigger on this, but man....I remember doing everything I could do in War and having everything go to shit after someone hung himself. FrostPunk models things like child labor and choosing to deliberately allow some of your population to starve in order that others may live. In an actual dystopian society, those are true choices. While MikeGer's impression gives me some hope, I think for now I'm going to jump into Battletech and see how I feel about this one when there's a sale.