1985: Under an Iron Sky

Started by Barthheart, April 09, 2018, 07:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: Pinetree on April 16, 2018, 08:55:10 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on April 16, 2018, 07:51:48 AM
So I guess I am sticking to my S&T Fifth Corps at al set instead. Why not.
I've just been working on consolidating the rules for Central Front. Check out the folder at CSW.

Thanks!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bboyer66

Almost pulled the trigger on this. A few things got in the way. First off the size, despite having a pretty large gaming table, I am not sure this sucker would fit. Also I was a little peeved that the quality of the troops in this game seemed a little off. Front line Soviet troops in East Germany fired on average just 5 rounds per year, and rarely conducted large scale field maneuvers are considered the equivalent in quality to American troops who spent half the year shooting tank gunnery (100s of rounds) or on field maneuvers. German troops (while of a good quality, are mostly conscripts) are considered better then the Americans, as well as the British who are rated very highly. Having served in Germany as an M1 tank crewman, and having trained with the German army,  I would rate the German troops at the same level as the Americans. The British quality seems to be overrated in almost every war game, and at best should be equivalent to West German and American troops (with a die roll to see in any of their tanks and vehicles are actually operational ;). You could obviously add some house rules to overcome these issues. But the big thing is, I just don't have the time for a monster game like this. But much respect to the developer/designer for taking on this project, and kudos to the manufacturer, as the components really seem to be top notch.

BanzaiCat

Bison

Time and space the true foils of the playability of monster games.

BanzaiCat

That's quitter talk there, son.

Bison

buy Me proud monster deluxe and I promise to play it all the way through

mirth

Take him home or lose him forever.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I was really just looking for a one play stand.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

mirth

Brokeback Mounted Mapboards.

Bison

Mirth a little unboxing video to help loosen your purse strings.

Components look pretty decent but I do not understand the logic of putting a red Soviet flag on a similar colored red background.  I get that it does not bother most people but I find it an odd design choice.  And the counter punch seems like its going to lead to a lot of ripped counters if you do not painstakingly cut them with a straight edge and razor. 

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Yskonyn

Darn. Too late. If I had known about this earlier I had ordered a copy to play with my old man.
Any idea about eta for the next run?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Barthheart

Haven't heard anything about a second run. It was originally only to be a short single run...but I doubt they has guessed at it's popularity.

They are already talking of their second game to update.....