Total War Arena (Free to play on the wargaming.net client) free4public no resets

Started by Destraex, February 23, 2018, 05:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

This is something that I don't imagine too many here would be into. It's multiplayer up to four in a group of a total of 10 people vs 10. It is a little like world of warships with pokey sticks. It uses the wargaming.net client. You cannot pause it. I enjoy it. So I thought I would post here as this is the grand opening basically. No more wipes and anybody can play for free.

"Starting today, February 22, we welcome all players, new and experienced, to the massively multiplayer online battlefield of TWA.

For those who are venturing onto the battlefield for the first time, we invite you to take up the swords and shields of history's most influential commanders; whether you choose the unfaltering Greek heroe Leonidas, the legendary Roman tactician Julius Caesar, the revenge-driven Barbarian queen Boudica, or the destructive Carthaginians lead by Hannibal Barca himself, glory and honor await you on the fields of war!"
https://totalwararena.com/en/news/latest-news/total-war-arena-enters-open-beta-february-22/

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Nefaro

Wanting to give this a try, but it won't even start downloading the files in the Wargaming launcher.  Just sitting there, "no connection".  #:-)

Destraex

I am using the wargaming.net game center (north american) rather than the single game stand alone game client. I had no trouble. Nor did 2 of my friends. However we just needed a patch.
Sorry to hear you are having problems Nefaro. Maybe too many people are trying to download it at once?

I just checked and IO can login.

P.S. I just remembered. One of my friends anti malware programs did flag the program as it started to download and set it to about 12kb a second before he flagged it as ok and went back to 350kb a second. Could it be your Anti Virus or Anti Malware software?

Nefaro

My internet connection issue was due to... Windows f'n 10.

Windows update nixed it's internet connection until I restarted and got the update to apply.  ::) 

Wasn't even the first time it did this.  Lesson learned; relinquishing more behind-the-scenes control is always worse.  :knuppel2:

Destraex

Destraex

Nefaro

Did some Tier 1 PvE while getting a feel for the various types and skills. 

Did some Tier 2 PvP with Leonidas cmdr and a full set of 3 spearmen.  Been scoring pretty highly, on the team, with them.  However, my map awareness is almost nil what with having to micro-manage the phalanx ability's 'fatigue shuffle' and toggling it on & off when friendlies get nearby (which happens all the damn time).

Been doing pretty well with 3 Barbarian Cav in PvE but dunno if that will translate to PvP yet.  I saw people mentioning that running cavalry is a bit OP in the early tiers, but becomes much more difficult in the latter half.  Of course, the Barbs get Falxmen in the last half, so at least there's an interesting alternative up there.

My first few games were actually with archers.  Did fairly well in PvE, but it was often pretty hairy when anything got around our front line.  Your infantry-running teammates certainly don't prioritize your welfare, and are probably often too busy to notice you being chases back & forth nearby.

Having a good time.  Feel like I need to really improve in some areas, but I've only hit Tier 2.

Destraex

Nefaro, it gets even better in a team of friends. I think you can have up to 4 players in each friends group out of the 10 on each side. You can then get some pretty nice support and co-operation going tactics wise.

fran

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on February 25, 2018, 05:24:05 AM
Nefaro, it gets even better in a team of friends. I think you can have up to 4 players in each friends group out of the 10 on each side. You can then get some pretty nice support and co-operation going tactics wise.

I noticed that teaming up gives +10% bonus. 

You can have up to 4 players in a TWA team?   :o  I recall the other WG games limiting it to 3.

DennisS

Is this game PVP only? If not, can PVE be played even after the tutorials, like World of Warships? Thanks in advance.

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on February 25, 2018, 06:41:11 PM
Is this game PVP only? If not, can PVE be played even after the tutorials, like World of Warships? Thanks in advance.

It's like World Of Warships as far as I know.

I saw someone mention Co-op vs the AI team only allowed for up to Tier 4 units, but I can't confirm that.  Only got to T2 thus far; can still do PvE co-op there.

Unfortunately the AI opponent is usually a cake walk unless half your team screws the pooch. 

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on February 25, 2018, 07:54:30 PM
Quote from: DennisS on February 25, 2018, 06:41:11 PM

It's like World Of Warships as far as I know.

I saw someone mention Co-op vs the AI team only allowed for up to Tier 4 units, but I can't confirm that.  Only got to T2 thus far; can still do PvE co-op there.

Unfortunately the AI opponent is usually a cake walk unless half your team screws the pooch.

I have played six matches now, all as Germanicus, and all with basic infantry. They're level 2, as is Germanicus. So far, only battles with the AI.

In my six matches, I have two fifth places, a fourth, a third, and two firsts. Guess I must be doing something right. My basic strategy is to serve as the anvil, and let others do the flanking. I am fully upgraded with armor and melee attack power, and my plan seems to be working quite well.

Agreed with the cakewalk...to this point, fights have been pretty easy...but if you let yourself get pinned by ranged fire, you can get hurt quick.

If you see me in game, I am DennisS, just like here in these forums. I would very much like the extra 10%!

Nefaro