Main Menu

Annihilation

Started by mirth, February 21, 2018, 06:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

I guess I'm sold, it looks different enough to be worth a watch.  I won't use up a precious cinema visit for it though.

Wes

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 25, 2018, 04:14:53 AM
I guess I'm sold, it looks different enough to be worth a watch.  I won't use up a precious cinema visit for it though.

This one is worth seeing on a big screen if you get the chance. I knew when I heard the first reviews that this was going to be a good film. And the studios I swear just make films like this every once in awhile and then bungle the entire release process so they can point to how focus groups are right (which is exactly what happened to this film) and say no one wants to see anything but a comic book movie.

For me I will buy it as soon as it releases to the home market. I was ready to see it again as soon as it ended.

If you like films like Stalker, Solaris, Moon, Primer, Arrival, etc. then you should enjoy this one.
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 22, 2018, 03:30:47 PM
I'll give a vague hint:
when I finished with haiku,
what did I write then?

That Natalie's Bare Minimum may have been obliquely referred to in Book 1 of St Irenaeus' Against Heresies while also being forshadowed briefly in Studio Ghibli's unreleased crossover double-sequel to 'Princess Mononoko' and 'The Wind Rises'?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Wes

I'm just glad to see a Slipstream novel made into a film...there are so many great books that just get passed over that would make great films. There are two more books in the series. I wonder if they might re-think this one and make a series out of them for Netflix. That would be something to look forward to.

(EDIT: It's not that there have been no adaptations, just not any from the newer crop of writers)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 13, 2018, 06:12:23 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 22, 2018, 03:30:47 PM
I'll give a vague hint:
when I finished with haiku,
what did I write then?

That Natalie's Bare Minimum may have been obliquely referred to in Book 1 of St Irenaeus' Against Heresies while also being forshadowed briefly in Studio Ghibli's unreleased crossover double-sequel to 'Princess Mononoko' and 'The Wind Rises'?

Kind of? Yes, let's go with "kind of". There's an obliqueness.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Hofstadter

Quote from: Gusington on February 22, 2018, 01:35:15 PM
I can't decide if the monster shown here is terrifying or ridiculous.

Watched it last night.

Its bloody...horrifying. In the best way
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

JudgeDredd

I watched this last night. Odd and creepy are the two words I'd use for it.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

You mean the monster or Portman?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 14, 2018, 02:57:53 AM

Just my kinda thing. 

May have to go see something in the theater for once.  If it's still running nearby.  :-\

Edit:  Gah!  The local theater isn't running it.  Fucking kids movies, mindless blockbuster CGI shit, and artsy drama shit hardly anyone watches.   :knuppel2:  Now remember why I rarely go to the theater anymore.

jamus34

Quote from: Nefaro on March 14, 2018, 06:16:32 PM

Just my kinda thing. 

May have to go see something in the theater for once.  If it's still running nearby.  :-\

Edit:  Gah!  The local theater isn't running it.  Fucking kids movies, mindless blockbuster CGI shit, and artsy drama shit hardly anyone watches.   :knuppel2:  Now remember why I rarely go to the theater anymore.

Spoken like a true crusty arse Grog
Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

Just my kinda thing. 

It's on Netflix if you have that. That's where we watched it. I don't know that it would be better in a cinema. In fact lights off, soundbar on and no people on their f***ing phones or rustling around in the noisiest bag of crisps EVER, it worked for me.

I really, REALLY hate what people have done to the cinema experience  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

These guys make some excellent points regarding this movie - it snuck up on us, the studio had zero faith in it (which is why it was only released theatrically here in the States), and despite it being an all-female cast they didn't beat people over the heads with that. I'd love to see it but nobody I know wants to, and I'm jealous you guys got to see it via Netflix.

Though there are other...solutions to seeing it outside of the theater.  :)

Case in point: looks like someone already ripped an HD version off of Netflix to stream online. What ya gonna do, right?

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 15, 2018, 01:50:49 AM

Just my kinda thing. 

It's on Netflix if you have that. That's where we watched it. I don't know that it would be better in a cinema. In fact lights off, soundbar on and no people on their f***ing phones or rustling around in the noisiest bag of crisps EVER, it worked for me.

I really, REALLY hate what people have done to the cinema experience  :knuppel2:

I heard that they put it on Netflix for the rest of the world, but released it only in theaters here in the US.

Regional deals =  :knuppel2: