Ballistic Missile Alert for Hawaii Sent in Error

Started by mirth, January 13, 2018, 02:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

OJsDad

I'm sure no one working for Twitter was messing around. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

DoctorQuest

I am not following you. Twitter had nothing to do with the original false alarm from what I can glean from the story.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Pete Dero

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fake-missile-alert-sent-out-to-hawaii-residents?ref=home

Hawaii Gov. David Ige later said the warning and subsequent panic were caused by an employee pressing the "wrong button" during a shift change.

No mention of the size of the button ...

SirAndrewD

You'd think they'd have an "Are you sure" prompt on that button.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

"If he fires one, then I'll fire one"
"One fired, sir."
The Bedford Incident.   (And so a young Dano ends it all.)
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Con

I hope they don't have a button like that  on Trumps desk  :wow:

OJsDad

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 13, 2018, 03:48:41 PM
I am not following you. Twitter had nothing to do with the original false alarm from what I can glean from the story.

My bad, I thought it had gone out on twitter. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

ComradeP

It remains difficult to comprehend that the world's most deadliest weapons can be launched through computer glitches or someone pressing the wrong button.

In this case it was just an alarm, but reading about incidents where nuclear war nearly came into being makes it clear that the nuclear arsenal isn't nearly as safe and secure as it should be.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

besilarius

It is ridiculous that such things happen.  But it creates awareness of the danger and reveals our human frailty.
Much prefer it happening now than at a time of higher tension.  It could -COULD- make people think twice instead of having an automatic reaction.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth