Trekkies! An RPG adventure for ST, based on the KAL 007 shootdown

Started by bayonetbrant, October 24, 2017, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Found this on FaceBook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tabletoprpgs/permalink/1607364742658983/

QuoteHere's what I've come up with as a scenario using the KAL 007 incident as a potential Star Trek RPG adventure. Let me know what you think. If you're a player in Star Trek: Protector, please keep this meta-knowledge compartmentalized from character knowledge, if this ever does crop up in an episode of the game.

SETTING:

Kelvin Timeline, on the edge of the Romulan Neutral Zone, Sector z-6

PARTICIPANTS:

SS Morning Calm, Stardreamer-class passenger ship, Captain Kim Seo-yun, 23 crew/246 passengers; IRW Manipularis, Vas Hatham-class warbird, Commander Seloth, 250 crew; STARFLEET VESSEL CREWED BY PLAYER CHARACTERS (example ship will be the USS Protector NCC-1710, Constitution (Block II)-class exporatory/heavy cruiser, Captain Nelson Farragut, 1100 crew

SET UP:

The SS Morning Calm is a civilian transport ship bound for Earth Outpost 7 with 269 souls aboard. She suffers an unnoticed navigation system error during transit, and accidentally strays into the Romulan Neutral Zone. The Manipularis has been assigned to patrol a sector of Romulan space on their side of the Zone, and detect the Morning Calm's penetration of the Zone. Commander Seloth reports the detection of a vessel crossing the zone to his higher authority, and recieves orders to approach the vessel. Seloth reports that the vessel is within the Zone and bears a Federation registry. His command orders him to destroy the vessel.

According to treaty, military ships from either side that enter the Zone are subject to attack by the other, as the breaching of the Zone is considered an act of war. Civilian ships, however, are subject to impoundment, their passengers and crew to be "processed" by the authorities of the intercepting force (on their own sides of the Zone), and held until repatriation can be arranged. Seloth commands Manipularis' attack on the Morning Calm, never reporting to his command that he believes the ship to be a civilian trespasser, not a Starfleet incursion. He feels compelled to follow his orders immediately and exactly as issued, as he believes his navigator is a Tal Shiar officer (NOTE: he's not, but the assistant tactical officer is actually a Tal Shiar officer).

THE MISSION BRIEF:

The insectoid face of Commodore Gtk Kttkct appears on the screen.

"Good afternoon, Nelson," she says through the Universal Translator, her actual voice barely audible as a series of clacking manibular clicks. "Starfleet has recieved word of an overdue civilian ship. The SS Morning Calm has not arrived at Earth Outpost 7, and there's been no word from her. Protector is the closest ship, and has been assigned to search for her. I don't need to remind you that the Earth Outposts are the the closest Federation settlements to the Romulan Neutral Zone. If the Romulans are involved in the disappearance of the Morning Calm, I want you to let me know as soon as possible. Protector is NOT authorised to penetrate the Zone. Investigate as much as you can, Nelson, but stay on our side of the line. Outpost Administrator Bartlett is expecting you, and will provide you with what information he can. Kttkct out."

POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS:

The Tal Shiar and Romulan Fleet are conducting secret advanced cloaking research in the area, and are concerned that the penetration of the Zone by the Morning Calm represents a breach in operational security. Their phaser happy mental state could lead to further action against Starfleet or civilian ships in the area.

Lantarr Ulon, member of the Federation Council from Betazed was aboard the Morning Calm, on a fact-fidning mission to Earth Outpost 7. His mission is not a secret, in fact, it's been very well publicized. The Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order, in particular, are interested in Mr. Ulon's trip. He represents a faction of the Council that wishes the Federation to take over the operation of the Earth Outposts from the United Earth government, shut most of them down, and run the rest as semi-automated Starfleet monitoring installations. The Romulans are in favor of that proposal, and the Cardassians are against it. The Cardassians may accuse the Romulans of assassinating Ulon in furtherance of their stragic goals.

A few of the passengers or crew (perhaps even Ulon) survived the attack aboard a lifepod, now drifting with minimal life support in the Zone. Time is running out for them.

Seloth is completely paranoid about being watched by the Tal Shiar and his superiors. He will follow the letter of every order from higher authority, no matter if those orders contradict established treaty, law, procedure, or decency. If he gets competing orders from more than one source, he may begin to act erratically, leading to a crisis of command and leadership aboard the Manipularis. A Romulan mutiny may be in the offing.

Operatives of some shadowy organization (Tal Shiar, Obsidian Order, Section 31, etc.) purposefully sabotaged the Morning Calm, trying to engineer a crisis between the Romulan Empire and the Federation for their own nefarious purposes.

Well, what do you folks think of this as a Star Trek RPG adventure outline?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on October 24, 2017, 05:55:18 PM
Stopped reading after this:

SETTING:
Kelvin Timeline

I guess that means something to you Trekkies?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys