FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)

Started by JasonPratt, October 19, 2017, 04:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Since I didn't get around to contributing to the Friday thread last week, and since I'm doubtful I'll get much gaming progress done this weekend either, and since it's technically Friday somewhere, and since I stumbled on this cover semi-randomly while looking up details on Lost Boys sequels I didn't even know existed, and since we're getting near Halloween, and since the topic of this video was broached several times in threads recently...

...you're welcome!

Ideally I intend to finally get Turn 11 of the DC:Blitz multiplayer done (though probably not the video AAR yet), but I'm also running behind on the Crisis Grogs Fire in the Lake mp game. (Though I might be able to catch up on that tonight, we'll see.)

One of my other mp groups wants to get back into Mechwarrior Online, so hopefully some of that.

I've been breaking in my new gfx card with a Halloween season replay of Batman: Arkham Knight, the strengths and weaknesses of which remain as they always have. Interestingly, as much as I enjoyed WB's port of the mechanics to Lord of the Rings in Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, I've never once replayed it, and have not even been in much of a hurry to finish the "Bright Lord" prequel DLC. I'm saving the new sequel for a birthday gift, so I'm not jumping into it, but neither do I feel particularly compelled to ask for it either.  :-\ Theoretically I should like the LotR property more! -- but the unrelenting grimness and descent into One Ring despotism may be turning me off this franchise.

I did though finally pick up the new Ghost Recon: Wildlands (and the expansion DLC "Fallen Ghosts") while it was on sale. So that's upcoming.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

I...er...um..no comment on the song choice.
Civilization 6 and Stars in Shadow for me. Both have new DLC and patches out.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Nice choice. Always liked the original from the Lost Boys soundtrack.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

The LB original I agree is better, although I'm not sure it's actually the original version either -- that film liked to use covers, although relatively superior ones. (I actually like its version of "People are Strange" better than the Doors' version.) Sisters of Mercy has a version of "Cry Little Sister", too. Who originally wrote/recorded it? No idea. But Seasons After took a noble bite at covering it.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

That was a solid soundtrack. I may still have the CD somewhere.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

Hm, Wiki says Gerald whoever did in fact write it originally (as used in the first film).

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on October 19, 2017, 04:37:18 PM
Nice choice. Always liked the original from the Lost Boys soundtrack.

Put down that Star Trek whiskey glass and tell us what you're playing this weekend.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

JasonPratt

...huh, there are a lot more covers than I realized, and the original composer/writer has gone through several versions himself (including one for the Devil May Cry PS4 reboot game.) Crap, Tangerine Dream did a cover?!

...ugh, they're better when they don't sing.

JasonPratt

Note: don't search for the bluegrass version by the original author (Gerald McMahon, who since then started performing as G Tom Mac), which he made for True Blood. The music is pretty great, with a Firefly feel, but the vocal performance is pure disappointment.

Also I'm still stuck at work. But at least it's a work where I can amuse myself by searching for covers/editions to a cult classic theme song.

Gusington

Great song choice! Lost Boys rules.

TL;DR - Witcher 3 this weekend for whatever gaming time I get. Seeing Army play Temple on Saturday. Warhammer Total War waits in the wings as does Shadow of War.

And Wolfenstein 2 is released next week for Naaahzi killin'!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: bbmike on October 19, 2017, 04:30:27 PM
I...er...um..no comment on the song choice.
Civilization 6 and Stars in Shadow for me. Both have new DLC and patches out.

A quiet weekend of the Nervii in Rome II's Ceasar in Gaul landscape, and maybe a few other things.

Cyrano

Boo...too early.  Can't interrupt my morning work ritual.

JTS Jena (x2)
KS Jena
Borderlands 2

Field of Glory II until I can't no more.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Arctic Blast

More board gaming. And probably more Shadow of War.

JudgeDredd

I don't think you should post anymore songs. Videos on the other hand

This weekend I'll be playing Madden NFL 18, No Man's Sky, MLB The Game 17 - all PS4 games - and also probably either pCars 2 and/or F1 2017

I may also start my Vulcan kit.

Enjoy your weekend.
Alba gu' brath