Pacific Rim: Uprising

Started by mirth, October 06, 2017, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Looks like this time instead of stupid fun, they're aiming for just stupid

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

I find the lack of Guillermo Del Toro's direction and visual style disturbing. 

Looks like Power Rangers.  Hope it's just the trailer.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

RedArgo

I thought the first one looked stupid, but then I saw it anyway and really like it.  Maybe this will be the same, but I agree, it does look like Power Rangers or maybe Transformers, and not the good one.

BanzaiCat

Wow.

Lots of loud special effects...check.
Asian market pandering...check.
Multicultural cast...check.
Forgettable rap track...check.
Charlie Day (e.g. "hey that creepy-ass guy from Always Sunny")...check.

I don't know. I actually thought Power Rangers was a decent movie. I completely expected it to be an utter pile of crap, but it wasn't half bad. Maybe this won't be, either.

Gusington

What did you just say about the Power a Rangers?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on October 06, 2017, 06:16:40 PM
What did you just say about the Power a Rangers?

You heard me...err...read me.

Check it out, you might like it. Then again, you might not.

SirAndrewD

I really liked the original, but I had faith in it from moment one due to the Del Toro factor.  The guy's filmography is brilliant and I was sure he was going to put every ounce of effort into the original Pacific Rim, and I feel he did.  It was a love letter to the genre and while it was most surely his most shallow movie, his touch is what takes it to a cult classic. 

This one's got the same writer, but this time we're getting a director, Stephen DeKnight, that is mostly known for TV (Spartacus/Daredevil).  He seems to be opting for over the top action and candy color anime, at least from the trailer.  I liked some of the stuff the guy did on TV, but I'm not about to give him anywhere the amount of leeway I did Del Toro as a filmmaker. 

It's hard to judge anything from trailers though.  If it's got the heart of the first film I'll probably love it.  We'll see.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

They brought back Burn Gorman at least. Maybe Ron Perlman will show up with his missing shoe?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 06, 2017, 06:34:34 PM
They brought back Burn Gorman at least. Maybe Ron Perlman will show up with his missing shoe?

Maybe, but Perlman is another Del Toro staple.  The two are extremely tight and have been since Cronos.  I wouldn't be surprised if he skips out since Legendary didn't go fast enough to keep Del Toro involved.

JasonPratt

The original score from the guy (Ramin Djuwarisomething) who wrote the Iron Man 1 music (also great) and the Game of Thrones theme (ditto), was a legitiamtely iconic part of the original film.

Now it's back (apparently?)  :bd: ! -- and improved with bad rap.  :timeout: :hide:

(And bad rap which sounds like it's praising Legendary Pictures, too.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

These trailers are not getting better

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I get the feeling they're taking themselves and the movie far, far too seriously now.

mirth

Unfortunately, I am going to have to see it with the kids.

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on January 24, 2018, 01:18:34 PM

there are worse fates mirth....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on January 24, 2018, 01:48:04 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 24, 2018, 01:18:34 PM

there are worse fates mirth....

And don't I know it.