Napoleonic FPS 9 days from steam early access - Holdfast Nations at War

Started by Destraex, September 12, 2017, 04:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Quote from: WargamerJoe on October 04, 2017, 04:26:16 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 04, 2017, 04:24:45 AM
THere is a rorkes drift game in the works.

You talking about that Zulu Response game up on Steam? I've got that wish-listed but not sure how well it's coming a long, seems more of a passion project.

I've got it and am very passionate about my Anglo-Zulu War history and being able to take part in it, but the last time I tried it (and I always have it installed - just in case) it was, how shall we say it, as "rough as arseholes". It has come on a bit since I first bought it, but it still needs a fair bit of work, to make it draw anyone in to play it long term.

IIRC the troop commanding interface, where you place a flag to send your AI squad mates had me foxed for quite a while. Its a good effort, and I wholeheartedly support it, but it has yet to make me sit down and play it through for any length of time. I'm hoping it will get there in the end though.

spelk

Quote from: WargamerJoe on October 04, 2017, 04:07:01 AM
Like that original mod though, this will be a game that will probably live & die by its community. It's not really going to capture a competitive scene and will instead be the new playground for re-enactors and role-players to recreate Napoleonic warfare (as interpreted by this game).

In a genre obsessed with Kill/Death ratios and twitch mechanics, there is something totally alluring about forming up, reloading mechanically with a lengthy historical delay, and having to time and place your limited range shots alongside your firing line. It's about following a procedure, to get the most effective outcome within a large collection of "disciplined" teammates. Disciplined in so far as everyone wants to touch the history of line firing around this era, and they are willing to take part in this sort of roleplay, to get a sense of the excitement, peril and tactical considerations.

I approach the likes of the Battlefield games in a similar way, which doesn't always sit right with their mechanics - probably why I play a squad leading battle medic, because you have to take part and be situationally aware to the degree that you meet the needs of the higher level tactical play, yet can make a difference by supporting your other rifleman. That adrenline soaked thinking mans play is what drives me as far as most FPS games are concerned.

Following orders, being part of something, and touching upon the history is where this sort of game shines, and sadly most FPS gamers won't know about it, or will be indifferent to it. Which is a real shame.

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: spelk on October 04, 2017, 04:41:59 AM

In a genre obsessed with Kill/Death ratios and twitch mechanics, there is something totally alluring about forming up, reloading mechanically with a lengthy historical delay, and having to time and place your limited range shots alongside your firing line. It's about following a procedure, to get the most effective outcome within a large collection of "disciplined" teammates. Disciplined in so far as everyone wants to touch the history of line firing around this era, and they are willing to take part in this sort of roleplay, to get a sense of the excitement, peril and tactical considerations.

I agree with that whole heartedly. I hadn't played the M&B:N spin-off for a fair few years, but jumping into Holdfast in my first match, was wonderful just watching people forming up in front of Officers and marching along in the line, really brought me back to those past days.

There is also something oddly comforting in just keeping quiet and following someone else's orders. As I mentioned before, I ended up rocking around with about 4-5 other Riflemen because one guy was using coms and asked all the green jackets to rally to him, and I did because why not? Followed him around, attacked who he told us to attack, and he also gave out some great tips on compensating for range.

In my personal gaming I play Battlefield 1 a lot with my mates, and I've always gravitated towards squad mechanics and squad play, and I usually just do as I'm asked there as well. It's satisfying to know you're working as part of a whole.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Hofstadter

Quote from: spelk on October 04, 2017, 04:34:09 AM
Quote from: WargamerJoe on October 04, 2017, 04:26:16 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 04, 2017, 04:24:45 AM
THere is a rorkes drift game in the works.

You talking about that Zulu Response game up on Steam? I've got that wish-listed but not sure how well it's coming a long, seems more of a passion project.

I've got it and am very passionate about my Anglo-Zulu War history and being able to take part in it, but the last time I tried it (and I always have it installed - just in case) it was, how shall we say it, as "rough as arseholes". It has come on a bit since I first bought it, but it still needs a fair bit of work, to make it draw anyone in to play it long term.

IIRC the troop commanding interface, where you place a flag to send your AI squad mates had me foxed for quite a while. Its a good effort, and I wholeheartedly support it, but it has yet to make me sit down and play it through for any length of time. I'm hoping it will get there in the end though.

I played Zulu Response when it first came out

I cried.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Cyrano

You can feel all the passion and love that went into ZR and know that's it's still a long way from being a game.

On the other hand, this is a good deal better than M&B:N, and now just because it looks a lot better -- which it does.

My son and I have been quite a pair of late strolling about the battlefield as fifer and drummer and watching all the shooty types follow us.  Then, when officers who seem to know what they're doing show up, matters get all together better still.

For an early game, top stuff.  When it gets cavalry and persistent, I think it will be awesome.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ArizonaTank

The one mode I like best in Holdfast are naval battles....but at the same time these seem to be least popular and it is hard to find a good server. 

I believe that part of the problem is that if you have a bad captain, who does not know how to position the ship, the entire ship's crew is screwed.  This often results in "mutinies" with friendly sailors killing the guy at the wheel, so they can get a good one up.

But when you have a good captain, the mode does a great job in depicting naval combat, and I find it quite fun.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 04, 2017, 11:19:03 PM
The one mode I like best in Holdfast are naval battles....but at the same time these seem to be least popular and it is hard to find a good server. 

I believe that part of the problem is that if you have a bad captain, who does not know how to position the ship, the entire ship's crew is screwed.  This often results in "mutinies" with friendly sailors killing the guy at the wheel, so they can get a good one up.

But when you have a good captain, the mode does a great job in depicting naval combat, and I find it quite fun.

A recent update disabled friendly fire AFAIK, so it's probably not possible to oust a bad captain now... might explain why those servers are less popular?

As for me, I prefer to go to servers with lots of people in over emptier ones that try out the other modes... games like this are fundamentally more enjoyable with more people, even if it's just watch the social dynamics play out.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Cyrano

AZTank is correct that the naval has the greatest potential, but the captain thing needs fixing.  I really admire designers who can cut Gordian knots like this as most fail...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Destraex

I am trying to help the developers with British uniforms.

Does any body know where I could get a free copy (this book was published in 1815!!!) of Wellington's Army: Uniforms of the British Soldier,1812-1815 or even better source the 1400 plates he drew of british soldiers during the napoleonic wars?

This only appears to have a few of the plates and is charged even though it must be so far out of copyright. Or is around 200 years not enough time?
https://www.amazon.com/Wellingtons-Army-Uniforms-British-1812-1815/dp/1853675016

" Most of these were of non-military subjects. However over 1,400 were uniform studies, with another 3,000 containing drawings of soldiers whose uniforms were so accurately depicted that you could see facing and ornamental details!  Additionally, he painted numerous schematic illustrations that showed the facing colors, lace, and other distinctions of various regiments."
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Father Ted

Quote from: WargamerJoe on October 04, 2017, 04:47:31 AM
There is also something oddly comforting in just keeping quiet and following someone else's orders. As I mentioned before, I ended up rocking around with about 4-5 other Riflemen because one guy was using coms and asked all the green jackets to rally to him, and I did because why not? Followed him around, attacked who he told us to attack, and he also gave out some great tips on compensating for range.

You ever tried Squad?  It's pretty much exactly that ^, though in a contemporary setting of course.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Destraex on October 13, 2017, 09:18:03 PM
I am trying to help the developers with British uniforms.

Does any body know where I could get a free copy (this book was published in 1815!!!) of Wellington's Army: Uniforms of the British Soldier,1812-1815 or even better source the 1400 plates he drew of british soldiers during the napoleonic wars?

This only appears to have a few of the plates and is charged even though it must be so far out of copyright. Or is around 200 years not enough time?
https://www.amazon.com/Wellingtons-Army-Uniforms-British-1812-1815/dp/1853675016

" Most of these were of non-military subjects. However over 1,400 were uniform studies, with another 3,000 containing drawings of soldiers whose uniforms were so accurately depicted that you could see facing and ornamental details!  Additionally, he painted numerous schematic illustrations that showed the facing colors, lace, and other distinctions of various regiments."

Welcome to the expensive world of the Nappy gamer.... :'(  You can find copies on ebay for about $35.  I believe a few years back, someone digitized this on CD and sold on ebay...but haven't seen it for many years.  Looks like there are some online e-libraries that have it, but you generally have to sign up for a membership fee...  Hunting and pecking on web will get you pieces here and there.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

$35 is no problem. But $50 postage to Australia afterwards and then conversion is. :(

Destraex

Everytime I load this thread I get 5NTxKtTtJBO.swf trying to download or play.
A shockwave extention. Is this the blank post you posted Jomni?

I recently reset my chrome and it may be being sensitive.

Pete Dero