Distant Worlds Universe

Started by Skwerl, August 15, 2017, 11:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skwerl

Distant Worlds Universe is on a great sale at Bundle Stars right now ($20 rather than $60).  I own the original Distant Worlds, but none of the DLC.  For those of you who have played both versions, is there enough improvement in Distant Worlds Universe to justify spending $20.  For context - I think the original Distant worlds is great.

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Skwerl

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll grab it!

Boggit

Quote from: Skwerl on August 15, 2017, 05:57:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll grab it!
Let us know what you think. If you get it I recommend you check out the mods for it, which enhance the enjoyability of the game. I use the DAS UI Mod, and Haree78's Distant Worlds Extended, but there's some really good mods out there generally.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=795

I also recommend contacting Kushan by PM. He gave me a shedload of useful advice on mods when I was asking. IIRC, he also did some articles on Distant World a year or two ago, which stoked me on the game.  8)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Martok

Enjoy the game, Skwerl!  The three expansions are easily worth the $20.00; they vastly improve upon what is already a fun game. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Skwerl

Bought and downloaded!  I'll give you an update once I get a chance to take it for a spin.

HoodedHorseJoe

I always quite liked this game. Haven't played it in ages but it was one of the more deeper 4X games and ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Always reached a point though where I felt I couldn't manage everything directly (and didn't really want to automate) and things always kind of fell apart.

I should at this to my list of games to give another go though.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

OJsDad

I cannot wait until we get our first look at Dw2.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Tuna

Is the only difference between Universe and the last iteration, the Mod support?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2017, 05:57:29 PM
Is the only difference between Universe and the last iteration, the Mod support?

New to Universe :

- The entire Distant Worlds series in one package! Universe includes the Original Distant Worlds, Return of the Shakturi, Legends, Shadows and the new Universe expansion!

- Comprehensive Modding and Customization Support: Allows adding/removing/changing most items: resources (including new colony-manufactured resources), ship components, planetary facilities and wonders, fighter designs, alien races and race families, diplomatic dialog, empire policy, custom characters, ship and base design templates, governments, plagues, research tech trees and more

- A new official storyline built using the new modding capabilities, covering the first war between the Freedom Alliance and the Shaktur Axis, in which you have access to the tech required to build your own planet destroyers, establish the Ancient Guardians and research and deploy the Xaraktor virus.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/515/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Universe

Boggit

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 17, 2017, 06:18:22 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2017, 05:57:29 PM

New to Universe :

- The entire Distant Worlds series in one package! Universe includes the Original Distant Worlds, Return of the Shakturi, Legends, Shadows and the new Universe expansion!

- Comprehensive Modding and Customization Support: Allows adding/removing/changing most items: resources (including new colony-manufactured resources), ship components, planetary facilities and wonders, fighter designs, alien races and race families, diplomatic dialog, empire policy, custom characters, ship and base design templates, governments, plagues, research tech trees and more

- A new official storyline built using the new modding capabilities, covering the first war between the Freedom Alliance and the Shaktur Axis, in which you have access to the tech required to build your own planet destroyers, establish the Ancient Guardians and research and deploy the Xaraktor virus.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/515/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Universe
Yeah. It's really cool. And you have plenty of great mods you can use already out there.

Which reminds me, one of our Grogs was doing a really nice Star Trek mod. I wonder how that ended up?

FarAway Sooner

It's a great game, but possibly the densest game I ever succeeded in playing.  Das does some great Intro videos on YouTube, which helped a lot.  They aren't short, but if you like to surf the complexity of a game, they're quite helpful!

Skwerl

I've watched his videos.  They are extremely helpful.

Boggit

Quote from: Skwerl on August 18, 2017, 03:20:39 PM
I've watched his videos.  They are extremely helpful.
Don't forget to look at his UI mods. I use Das Blue, which I think is a great improvement over vanilla.