Decades Feeder Bracket - 1974 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, August 06, 2017, 05:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

1974 turned out to be an interesting year.  A lot of really good songs, not a lot of natural pairings.  So, to me, it looks a bit of a disjointed mess.  I really like the chances of the higher seeds to carry the day.  As for the lower seeds, no, I don't think Bad Company or Aerosmith are worthy of the last two seeds.  It was just the best way to match up the top two seeds.  A quick aside, I don't know how many of you listen to any of the videos when you vote.  I have to imagine there are occasionally songs you might not know and I hope you are discovering some good stuff along the journey.  As always, thanks for coming along with me and voting!   :)  O0

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Personally, I thought this would be a very tough bracket to vote in.  But it really wasn't all that tough. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I like to vote for, "This is the choice for.."
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

There were 2-3 tougher choices, but there's a lot of songs in this one I just flat out don't like, so voting against them wasn't too hard.

And then there's the one Bad Company tune I don't hate at this point in my life.  The older I get, the less I enjoy listening to Bad Company, George Thorogood, and ZZ Top.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

And Joe Walsh, and Rush, and a lot of other bands/performers.

BanzaiCat

I lost my interest in ZZ Top by the early 90s. :(

mirth

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on August 06, 2017, 05:32:20 PM
And Joe Walsh, and Rush, and a lot of other bands/performers.

I'm OK with James Gang, but most of his solo stuff is pretty annoying.  Rush I like, but like Soundgarden, I can't listen to more than 3-4 songs in a row.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Rush may be the most overrated band of all time. They've had a few decent songs, but most of it is derivative shit. And trust me, Rush gets plenty of airplay in Maine.

Steelgrave

Quote from: MetalDog on August 06, 2017, 05:04:53 PM
A quick aside, I don't know how many of you listen to any of the videos when you vote.  I have to imagine there are occasionally songs you might not know and I hope you are discovering some good stuff along the journey.  As always, thanks for coming along with me and voting!   :)  O0

While I tend to know 100% of the songs from the 60's through the 80's, I have indeed discovered a few great songs through your brackets, some of which have become favorites on my playlists. So thanks!

BanzaiCat

I recognized about 60-70% of the song names in this list, but the other 30%, I had to give a quick listen to. I realized I'd heard all of them before, I just didn't know their names. I'm weird like that I guess.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on August 06, 2017, 05:35:49 PM
ZZ Top was a fad band.

The fuck you talkin about Willis?!?  :o
Being around as long as they have is hardly a fad....  ::)

And Joe Walsh is a fantastic guitar player, one of the best of all time.

But I agree with you about Rush... way over rated... all their music sounds exactly the same to me.

Staggerwing

Rush's Signals album did a pretty good job of scratching a Prog/New Wave crossover itch.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys