Star Wars Imperial Assault

Started by JudgeDredd, August 03, 2017, 06:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Quote from: Nefaro on January 04, 2018, 05:58:24 PM
Quote from: acctingman on January 04, 2018, 04:00:58 PM
TO SDR or anyone who owns this game....

Does the game lend itself to solo play? I've read that there is an app you have to use to play solo, but from what I've read it sounds like it won't work with a lot of the characters from the expansion packs?

Thanks

The app is just like the one for their other line which uses the same system (Descent 2e). 

I mention that because the Descent co-op app slowly rolled out content support, and new app additions, over time.  I expect FFG will do the same for the Imperial Assault one because it was only recently released.   The app is a free download, although the Descent one also offered a paid DLC add-on which would procedurally generate randomized dungeons (I'll def buy that addon sometime).

Both IA and D2e also had a few community created mods on BGG for an automated opponent that could run the baddy monster/Imp side.  I think the solo mod from user "Redjak" (or something similar?), which used a set of cards and some short rules to dictate the auto-opponent behavior, was the best that I had seen for Descent.   I'm pretty sure he also did a set for IA, but I never got around to checking out the IA ones.

Thanks a ton Nefaro  O0

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: acctingman on January 04, 2018, 04:00:58 PM
TO SDR or anyone who owns this game....

Does the game lend itself to solo play? I've read that there is an app you have to use to play solo, but from what I've read it sounds like it won't work with a lot of the characters from the expansion packs?

Thanks

Yup, it's great for solo but as Nef said, it doesn't yet support most of the stuff from the expansion packs. It does say "coming soon" for each as you log th m in your collection though. Descent app now supports all expansion content so I'm certain IA will as well.

Silent Disapproval Robot

A group of 4 of us ran through the first two missions in the app controlled campaign last night.  It was an absolute blast to play (apart from me knocking over my buddy's glass of cider on to some cards.)   It took about 4 hours to play through 2 missions.  I suspect we have 2-3 more to go before we finish the campaign.  The missions are very heavily oriented to combat and the pace is unrelenting but it's a lot of fun.   IG-88 showed up in one mission and beat the snot out of us.  We lost half our team and used up all our supplies before our wookie managed to rip one of IG's arms off and send it running.  One of our members actually cheered (and she was rightfully mocked for it.) 

Can't wait to play it again.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 06, 2018, 11:56:31 PM
apart from me knocking over my buddy's glass of cider on to some cards.

:hide:

BanzaiCat

So, SDR, dumb question. I downloaded the app and looked at it briefly but it didn't ring a bell. Is this in line with the base game's campaign or is it something totally different?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Similar basic story premise (escape Yavin 4 after the Death Star goes boom) but different storyline after that.  The app only uses enemies from the core set so far but the equipment and playable characters from all the expansions are available.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Played our second session of the campaign using the app and once again had an absolute blast  Drinks were spilled once again but this time I wasn't the one committing the foul and nothing got on the game components this time (although the cards I did spill the cider on now have a lovely apple-fresh scent).  Some of the language on the AI priority action lists can be a bit confusing at times but whenever such cases arose, we all decided what would be the best course of action for the AI to take and it didn't really detract too much from the overall experience.

Man, those Trandosian mercs really, really had it in for my Wookie character!  They would ignore easy shots at my allies if they had even the smallest chance of getting at me.  I took a hell of a beating but we managed to scrape through in the end (despite Greedo cheat shotting two of us in the back as we legged it for our ship).

I really hope they start pumping out more scenarios for this.  Haven't had this much fun in a co-op board game for a long time.

Silent Disapproval Robot

We finally got time to play our third mission in the co-op campaign tonight.  The app was updated to add enemies from the expansions into the game so there was a lot more variety this time around but they need to refine the app to make sure only appropriate enemies appear.

In this mission, our group of rebels ambush an Imperial convoy in order to retrieve some intel given to them by a traitor in our cell.  The mission takes place in a rocky canyon on a desert planet.  Initial enemies included several storm troopers, some elite storm troopers with jet packs, and a few probe droids.  Seems reasonable.  Once we cleared them out and got inside the APC carrying the intel, we were attacked by the passengers consisting of an Imperial officer, some heavy weapons storm troopers, and a Wampa.  Maybe it was a regimental mascot?

Once we obtained the intel and headed towards the extraction site, we were attacked by two Rodian thugs, 3 Bespin guards, a Nexu, and Jabba the Hutt and Salacious Crumb followed by an infinite wave of storm troopers and a shape shifter.

Nefaro

No spillage this time?

You guys kept the palsy in check, did ya?

BanzaiCat

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Nefaro on February 21, 2018, 09:13:28 AM
No spillage this time?

You guys kept the palsy in check, did ya?

There may or may not have been some Pimm's spillage but if such a thing did occur, it went away from the table this time.