Instead of High speed trains

Started by gameleaper, July 27, 2017, 11:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

why not invest in fast boats, instead of rail, the benefit is no rail lines needed, so the saving and time to build would be many times better. you could even go underwater,

gameleaper

you could have underwater tubes for pods to move, so no rail lines devastating the land

bayonetbrant

you'd have to dredge a lot of rivers

what are the environmental impacts?

how many of those rivers have a dam along them somewhere for local water?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

gameleaper

I was thinking of going by sea, maybe fast tracked through the river to the sea then a long distance speed journey. you could have lots of small boats , it would make busness travel very interesting like concord did

trailrunner

I don't know how fast a fast boat goes, but it's probably slower than a normal train, and slower than a bullet train.  And generally the faster the boat is, the less passengers it can carry.

Boats are also limited to waterways.

Building a craft to go underwater is not easy, and it's not easy to go fast underwater.  And carry a bunch of people.  And do it anywhere other than the ocean or very large lakes where the water is deep enough.

Most rail lines are already in place, and I don't think they require much maintenance.

gameleaper

Im trying to save the UK spending 100 billion on HR2 , maybe a dedicated airport just for the areas used by HR2 would be cheaper than HR2, but I was kinda thinking 100 billion spent on boat desighn would get you a lot of research for speed.

gameleaper

I bet it would be a lot of fun for fleets of fast busness class boats to carry you to meetings, I'm sure Id look forward to my day if I were a traveling executive

gameleaper

you could have plains towing boats! wow that would be fast. see what 100 billion could buy

bbmike

My boat can do almost 40mph.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

wow that nearly business class speed, you could tow the plains :)

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys