Decades Feeder Bracket - 1993 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, July 23, 2017, 05:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

All apologies to everyone who disagrees, but, 1993 was a crap year for music.  At least music of any substance and weight in AOR land.  There seemed to be some great choices in rap, dance, and emo (or whatever the hell The Cure and their ilk are), but not so much in the music me and my friends listened to.  So, here is a Bracket culled from a very short and underwhelming lineup.  As always, thanks for voting and coming along with me on my delusion that I know squat about music ;)

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Only 2 songs worth even voting for.  Knowing you lot, they'll be eliminated in the first round.  At least I can take the rest of the week off then. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jamus34

There's gotta be some better songs out there for 93.

That said damn you putting tool and type o- heads up. Probably 2 of the top 5 songs on this list and year
Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

It wasn't a great year, but it wasn't as bad as you're making it sound...  One of the problems was that a lot of bigger artists released live albums (Metallica, Kiss) or greatest hits compilations (Neil Young, Prince, Def Leppard)

But you still could've slipped in any of the following (especially ahead of The Flaming Lips)

Cannonball - The Breeders
Start Choppin - Dinosaur Jr
Fame - Infectious Grooves (cover of the Bowie tune)
Laid - James
Ordinary World or Come Undone - Duran Duran
Possession - Sarah McLachlan
Here & Now - Letters to Cleo
Pride and Joy or Shake My Tree - Coverdale * Page
Roses in the Hospital - Manic Street Preachers
anything from Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair
Lemon - U2 (though I could totally understand if you left it out b/c most of Zooropa was pretty crap)
Transnational Speedway...  from Clutch (their debut) was '93
Do you count GNR's "The Spaghetti Incident?" ? Because if so, you've got a solid cover of Hair of the Dog, plus the really fun cover of Buick Makane that segues into Big Dumb Sex from Soundgarden.

I know you're not much of a hip-hop fan, but Bring da Ruckus from Wu-Tang Clan is arguably the second-best every side 1, track 1 from a debut album.
Plus, Snoop's debut - with Gin & Juice, What's My Name, and Murder Was The Case - was '93, too.

Finally, Sheryl Crow actually released Tuesday Night Music Club in '93, even though the more famous singles - All I Wanna Do and Strong Enough and Leaving Las Vegas were released in '94
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

All good choices, MD, in a year full of great music. This one was easier than some of your other challenges, though.

MetalDog

Honestly, Brant, of all your suggestions, the only one I would have used is Sheryl Crow.  I never heard of some of them and the rest were off genre.  Not sure how I missed Crow though.  Love that album and would have included All I Wanna Do.  Prolly will for the Wild Card Bracket.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

trailrunner

There are a couple of solid songs in the lineup, so all is not lost.

As always, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on July 24, 2017, 06:06:55 AMNot sure how I missed Crow though.  Love that album and would have included All I Wanna Do.  Prolly will for the Wild Card Bracket.

It would be entirely fair to include Sheryl Crow in the '94 bracket, since that's the year the popular singles were actually released.  It's like Appetite for Destruction, which was released in '87, but all the singles that charted - Sweet Child, Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City - all hit in '88.

Quote from: MetalDog on July 24, 2017, 06:06:55 AMI never heard of some of them and the rest were off genre.

I get that the hip-hop stuff is off-genre, but The Breeders, Duran Duran, Dinosaur Jr, and U2 all seemed like they would've fit.  And I'd take any of them ahead of The Flaming Lips ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers