Exercise Habits?

Started by airboy, July 16, 2017, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This time two years ago I could not walk up two flights of stairs due to 90% blockage in my heart.  I sought treatment because my regular exercise routine became impossible on some days and the wife nagged me that this was not normal.  After getting two stents 21 months ago, I'm in better shape than I have been in 15 years.

This week I lifted 40,000 lbs. on my weight circuit (I do a lot of reps).  I do the weight lifting about twice a week.

I walk 25 minutes on the indoor track at as fast a pace I can go without actually jogging. Then a five minute cool down.  I do that about 4 days a week.  At 55 I don't want to mess up my joints by jogging.

Last week my heart said that if I keep this exercise routine, I'll know when I get to 85% blockage again and can get even more stents put in.  Getting balloon angioplasty and stents was one of the easiest surgeries to recover from that I've ever had.

I hope that all of you who have desk bound jobs get regular exercise of some sort.

What do you do?

Sir Slash

Treadmill 3X a week, mile and a half at 2.5 mph. Also swim in pool this time of year. My wife dangles a chicken wing in front of me on the treadmill to keep me going.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

great to hear your well on the mend.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Working shifts plays hell on keeping a stable exercise routine.  I was a member of a gym that was just a 5 minute walk from my house but I ended up quitting 2 years ago as it was just too crowded regardless of time of day ($15/mo memberships seem to attract a lot of people) and you spent more time waiting for a piece of equipment than you did using it.  Last straw for me was when some punk grabbed two of the weights I had on the floor next to the bar I was using and gave me the finger when I told him I was using them.  The staff member pretended not to see as she was friend with the punk.

Anyway, I quit the gym and bought a crappy Bowflex for the home to use in conjunction with my stationary bike.  I try to use both 3 times a week but some weeks I only get on once.  I generally do 40 minutes on the bike with 30 at light/moderate intensity and two 5 minute sprint intervals thrown in.  The Bowflex just doesn't cut it as a weight machine, I find.  Not enough resistance and the way the tension rods work means that you only get the full resistance once the rods are fully bent.  That's maybe only the last 25-30% of the range of motion. 

I also hike the trail near my place when the weather permits.  It's only 2.5km each way with a 400m climb, but it's enough to have me huffing and puffing and needing a break halfway up.

I also recently started on the keto diet.  Lost 11.5 kilos so far.  I find I can stick to it with relative ease when I'm in a normal routine of work/home/repeat, but social obligations come up from time to time (visit to the parent's place,  friend's birthday, friend learning he had cancer and wanting to drink) that force me off of it and getting back into a state of ketosis takes up to 5 days once you have just a few too many carbs.

DoctorQuest

Treadmill 2 or 3 times a week. Swimming once a week. I make a point of standing for phone calls in my office to get my butt out of the chair. I try to take stairs rather than elevators.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

acctingman

Gym 4x a week. Usually 40-50 min of cardio with 30 min of weights. Went from 321 to 260. Next 30 are going to be a b**ch. From here on out it's all diet.

mirth

Quote from: acctingman on July 17, 2017, 08:29:26 AM
Gym 4x a week. Usually 40-50 min of cardio with 30 min of weights. Went from 321 to 260. Next 30 are going to be a b**ch. From here on out it's all diet.

Nice job!  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

^Yep, keep it up airboy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Airboy...keep at it and congrats to you. Never too late to better ones quality of life!

airboy

Quote from: acctingman on July 17, 2017, 08:29:26 AM

Impressive.

airboy

My gym has a pool - but I swim like a very slow log.

Barthheart

Quote from: airboy on July 17, 2017, 12:01:47 PM
My gym has a pool - but I swim like a very slow log.

That's better than the boulder impression I do while swimming....

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on July 16, 2017, 09:46:23 PM
This time two years ago I could not walk up two flights of stairs due to 90% blockage in my heart.  I sought treatment because my regular exercise routine became impossible on some days and the wife nagged me that this was not normal.  After getting two stents 21 months ago, I'm in better shape than I have been in 15 years.

hard to tell based on what we saw of you this summer :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

trailrunner

I used to do a lot of triathlons, bike races, and running races, including ultras. I loved running 50k on trails (hence my screen name).  When I turned 50, I had a series of minor surgeries and injuries, and changed jobs a couple times, which took me off my training routine, but never got the passion back. So now I run a few times a week and bike a few times a week and don't worry if I miss a day.  I used to swim with a masters group but gave that up a couple of years ago.  I recently started playing tennis and want to take BJJ soon.   Never have liked weight training. My daughter is a certified yoga instructor and need to give that a try sometime.