This Should Get Some Interesting Replies

Started by bayonetbrant, July 04, 2017, 11:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

My dad owned it (not the one in the pic, a different one) for a few years but eventually sold it when it became too expensive to maintain (it was built in the mid 40's). The front right half of the cabin was a giant door for dockside boarding and were two yokes, the right one being easily detachable so folks could climb in and out through the aforementioned door.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

I am pretty sure 007 flew one in "The Man With the Golden Gun".
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Ubercat

Stood 2 "balls to eight" (midnight to 8AM) watches on the highest point of the island of an aircraft carrier (CV-62 USS Independence) approximately 200 miles off the coast of North Carolina in the middle of winter when the big dipper took up half the sky.  :dreamer: The moon was close to full, and illuminated our wake for miles. (F'ing frigid cold and windy, but I will remember it for as long as I live)

Flew up and down the Hudson river, right at the level of the roofs of World Trade Center towers (1300 or so ft), about 3-4 years before 9-11, including 2 circles of Lady Liberty.

Spent a day in a house (mine) with agent Scully.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

MetalDog

Quote from: Ubercat on July 04, 2017, 09:46:47 PM
Stood 2 "balls to eight" (midnight to 8AM) watches on the highest point of the island of an aircraft carrier (CV-62 USS Independence) approximately 200 miles off the coast of North Carolina in the middle of winter when the big dipper took up half the sky.  :dreamer: The moon was close to full, and illuminated our wake for miles. (F'ing frigid cold and windy, but I will remember it for as long as I live)

Flew up and down the Hudson river, right at the level of the roofs of World Trade Center towers (1300 or so ft), about 3-4 years before 9-11, including 2 circles of Lady Liberty.

Spent a day in a house (mine) with agent Scully.

You realize you can't just drop that one there and walk away.  Right?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Ubercat

OMG, You just made me LOL. Good thing I've finished my last drink for the evening or I'd have spewed it on the KB.

I told the story before, here and on the wargamer. (site that shall not be named) JGillian Anderson's first boyfriend was an uncle of mine and the two of them drove across Michigan from Ann Arbor Grand Rapids and spent a day at our house in Flint in the summer of '83 when we were both 15 (uncle was 25 at the time(statute of limitations for statutory rape has long since expired)). 

He cheated on her and the relationship didn't last very long after she caught him. If things had played out differently, she might have ended up being my aunt (same age even!!).

Edit: I must have had Ann Arbor on the brain when I first posted this. They drove from Grand Rapids, which coincidentally is the home town of my wife, though we never met until we were both living in PA. I also mispelled Gills name. It's G, not J.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Tpek

Quote from: Ubercat on July 04, 2017, 10:42:56 PM
OMG, You just made me LOL. Good thing I've finished my last drink for the evening or I'd have spewed it on the KB.

I told the story before, here and on the wargamer. (site that shall not be named) Jillian Anderson's first boyfriend was an uncle of mine and the two of them drove across Michigan from Ann Arbor and spent a day at our house in Flint in the summer of '83 when we were both 15 (uncle was 25 at the time(statute of limitations for statutory rape has long since expired)). 

He cheated on her and the relationship didn't last very long after she caught him. If things had played out differently, she might have ended up being my aunt (same age even!!).

The question is, why didn't you pick her up instead? :P

Staggerwing

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 04, 2017, 08:57:44 PM

You are correct. My family went to see the movie in the theater and when the baddie blew up the Seabee with his giant ray gun my dad yelled 'Nooo!!' and startled a bunch of nearby folks.  :))
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 05, 2017, 05:29:40 AM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 04, 2017, 08:57:44 PM

You are correct. My family went to see the movie in the theater and when the baddie blew up the Seabee with his giant ray gun my dad yelled 'Nooo!!' and startled a bunch of nearby folks.  :))

I think I like your dad.  :notworthy:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Ubercat

Quote from: Tpek on July 05, 2017, 02:35:39 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on July 04, 2017, 10:42:56 PM

I told the story before, here and on the wargamer. (site that shall not be named) Jillian Anderson's first boyfriend was an uncle of mine and the two of them drove across Michigan from Ann Arbor and spent a day at our house in Flint in the summer of '83 when we were both 15 (uncle was 25 at the time(statute of limitations for statutory rape has long since expired)). 

The question is, why didn't you pick her up instead? :P

Tee hee, have you ever seen a 15 year old girl with a 15 year old boyfriend? They want older boys, although 25 is a bit extreme. At that point in my life, I'd lived in Michigan, California, Arkansas, and been to Ontario and Florida a few times. The height of my ambition was to find the perfect WW2 wargame. I needed 2 more years before I was eligible to get a girlfriend (and that's how long it took)

Gill, OTOH had lived in England and the US, been around Europe and I don't know where else. My uncle was lead singer in a punk band and had that lifestyle to share with her (while I was badly singing along to Led Zeppelin). All I had to offer her was my moms basement.  :DD Which was literally where my room was.

- Thomas Sowell

Tpek

Quote from: Ubercat on July 05, 2017, 09:19:20 AM
Tee hee, have you ever seen a 15 year old girl with a 15 year old boyfriend? They want older boys, although 25 is a bit extreme. At that point in my life, I'd lived in Michigan, California, Arkansas, and been to Ontario and Florida a few times. The height of my ambition was to find the perfect WW2 wargame. I needed 2 more years before I was eligible to get a girlfriend (and that's how long it took)

Gill, OTOH had lived in England and the US, been around Europe and I don't know where else. My uncle was lead singer in a punk band and had that lifestyle to share with her (while I was badly singing along to Led Zeppelin). All I had to offer her was my moms basement.  :DD Which was literally where my room was.

All I hear (or read) are excuses :P

MetalDog

MetalDog

Ubercat

I don't know what you just posted, MD. All I see is your emoji at the bottom. Have some trouble with the bandits at Photobucket?

I'm sure that many more grogs have cool stories and I'm disappointed that this thread appears to have died. Perhaps the thread title isn't descriptive enough to draw more interest?

I just learned from my mother that my uncle Ralph (Gills ex) died a month or two ago. He had serious health issues that finally caught up to him. That's kind of prompted me to relate a story that ties my second and third experiences (above) together.

About 2 weeks before that flight up the Hudson, Ralph took a trip to New York to visit his next younger brother who was living in Manhattan at the time. Ralph went with his wife and their first kid. I found out about the trip ahead of time so I took Amtrak up from Philly to spend a Saturday with my 2 uncles. We did all the touristy things: rode the subway, took the Staten Island Ferry, ate in a trendy restaurant with indoor water fountain, etc.

X-Files was at it's height at that point. The subway platform had columns every 15-20 ft or so and every one had a big X-Files poster with Gil's face prominent and probably 3 ft high. My other uncle and I were  :-X, but I was watching Ralph out of the corner of my eye to see how he'd react. He kept his head down and pretended not to notice but I could practically hear him grinding his teeth! :DD What could he say anyway, with his wife right there?

Yes, I know it might seem cruel, now, to laugh about the subway story but you have to admit that it's pretty funny! (and ironic) I feel bad for his 2 sons. Fortunately they're both grown now and independent.

- Thomas Sowell

Windigo

Good topic bayo,

1/. drank the sour-TOE cocktail in the Dawson Downtown Hotel, Yukon Territory.
2/. Skree skied down a mountainside
3/. Had sex on my desk during working hours with my manager.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Windigo on July 27, 2017, 03:44:31 PM
3/. Had sex on my desk during working hours with my manager.

Gus is working on it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers