Congressman Shot and Others Shot

Started by Labbug, June 14, 2017, 07:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

My attempt here is to keep the discussion civil without singling anyone out, posters or members of a political party. No where above did I say the motive could not be discussed. I said that personal attacks would not be allowed. And we have all been around here long enough (and some have taken hiatus) when threads like this devolve into name calling and worse.

This crime is an affront that any rational person should find abhorrent and it is natural for passions to run high. I want to keep the passion to a simmer before it gets out of control.

And if it gets out of control, I've offered to move it to R&P where that's allowed. It can be either way, so I don't know what else I can say or how much simpler I can say it. Jeez people.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Swatter

The thing that is most disturbing about this shooting was that I don't think this guy was crazy. The views he expressed are entirely mainstream on the Left. I'm not trying to attack anyone by saying that, but his views were not out of the ordinary. Usually when someone starts shooting people it doesn't take long to find a view that person held that was strange. Like that one guy who stabbed people on the train. He was a Bernie supporter, but also a white supremacist. Those things just don't connect in a normal mind.

I was having this discussion with my one of my friends a couple of months ago, that the Left needs to calm down and look at things in perspective and without so much emotion- or somebody is going to get hurt (or many somebodies). I am not trying to get this thrown into R&P, but the temperature on the Left is overheated. You have comedians saying vile things and holding a severed Trump head. You have people, in all earnestness, talking about half of the country being Nazis. You have intellectuals who should know better not confronting the charges that Trump is LITERALLY Hitler. Too many Democrats think they are resisting a literal authoritarian takeover by wannabe racist Nazis.

That's not even the bad part. The bad part is the next mass shooting in retaliation. Trump won the election, the Left needs to finally come to grips with that. He will not be thrown in jail. He will not be successfully impeached. He is going to be there for 4 years- DEAL WITH IT. Calm down and get out of crisis mode, for the sake of your own sanity. For the sake of not seeing anymore mass shootings being perpetrated by sane individuals.

If this is the straw that breaks the camels back that gets this thrown into R&P, feel free to delete it. You simply cannot discuss the shooting without discussing the hysteria rampant on the Left in 2017.

Gusington

Nothing in the above post warrants this being tossed into the bowels of R&P by my reckoning.

Of course, like you say above, we now wait for a response 💀

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

It seems the guy behind the shooting had been in the DC area for a couple of months.  Was he planning something like this all along.  Or was this a reaction to something else.  Did the Kathy Gifford's Trump behead photo and or the theatre play showing a Trump look alike being assassinated. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

Compare the non-stop reactions in the media to a rodeo clown wearing a mask and the let's not make this political reaction to a man who actually shoots and attempts to kill as many politicians as possible.  It's frankly disgusting.  The media is complicit as are the Democrat politicians like former AG Lynch and VP candidate Kaine who call for protests and blood on the streets. 

Marty Ward

If we truly want to confront and solve, or reduce the chances, of this sort of stuff happening again we have to talk about the elephant in the room. This was caused by the political climate in the country. Recently there have been many calls for violence from the left. Now it has happened. How can you possibly come up with solutions without acknowledging this? It is like the refusal to call it Islamic terrorism. It is what it is. Let's not dwell on it, lets figure out a way to stop having the 2 sides demonize and dehumanize the other. That is how the Nazi's worked their evil. We need to confront it head on.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Sir Slash

I couldn't agree more Marty and Bison. :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Marty Ward

It is this kind of shit that needs to be confronted and stopped.

'NJ Democratic strategist launches #HuntRepublicans and #HuntRepublicanCongressmen

After a shooter in Alexandria left House Majority Whip Steve Scalise in critical condition and wounded four other people, a longtime New Jersey Democratic political strategist responded by introducing the hashtags #HuntRepublicans and #HuntRepublicanCongressmen.

"We are in a war with selfish, foolish & narcissistic rich people," wrote James Devine on Twitter. "Why is it a shock when things turn violent? #HuntRepublicanCongressmen."

Devine has run for office, consulted for numerous New Jersey campaigns, and worked in the offices of state lawmakers. He's also a blogger.'

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/16/nj-democratic-strategist-launches-huntrepublicans-and-huntrepublicancongressmen.html
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

JasonPratt

"We [CONSTANTLY HARP ABOUT HOW WE] are in a war with selfish, foolish & narcissistic rich people," wrote James Devine on Twitter. "Why is it a shock when things turn violent? #HuntRepublicanCongressmen."

As far as I'm concerned, Devine should be exiled to a collectivist farm in North Korea.  >:(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I hear Lil' Kim needs a new, "Beloved Leader Butt-Whipper" position filled. The last one forgot to spray perfume on it after.  :buck2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Marty Ward on June 16, 2017, 10:32:20 AM
It is this kind of shit that needs to be confronted and stopped.

'NJ Democratic strategist launches #HuntRepublicans and #HuntRepublicanCongressmen

After a shooter in Alexandria left House Majority Whip Steve Scalise in critical condition and wounded four other people, a longtime New Jersey Democratic political strategist responded by introducing the hashtags #HuntRepublicans and #HuntRepublicanCongressmen.

"We are in a war with selfish, foolish & narcissistic rich people," wrote James Devine on Twitter. "Why is it a shock when things turn violent? #HuntRepublicanCongressmen."

Devine has run for office, consulted for numerous New Jersey campaigns, and worked in the offices of state lawmakers. He's also a blogger.'

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/16/nj-democratic-strategist-launches-huntrepublicans-and-huntrepublicancongressmen.html

doesnt this fall under hate speech laws? if it said blacks or gays or trump this person would probably be facing charges of some sort.

JasonPratt

Or if it said "Democrats".

(I would joke about running out to copyright #HuntDemocrats and #HuntDemocratCongressmen, but I have family and loved ones who are Democrats. And even if I didn't, what Christless moron would even joke about it under the circumstances.  :knuppel2: )

Edited to add: still, tactical props to Devine I guess -- no such thing as bad publicity, right?  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Labbug

It turns out the shooter had a hand written list of six Republican Representatives in his pocket at the time of the shooting.

Ubercat

Stephen Colbert had a pretty peaceful and conciliatory reaction. I wonder how he'd have been if a right winger had shot some democratic congressmen?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Marty Ward

Quote from: Ubercat on June 16, 2017, 08:42:23 PM
Stephen Colbert had a pretty peaceful and conciliatory reaction. I wonder how he'd have been if a right winger had shot some democratic congressmen?

You don't need much of an imagination to know. Look at the reactions when it is just thought to be something done by a right winger, like the Portland stabbings.