Main Menu

CCleaner alert

Started by Pete Dero, June 14, 2017, 03:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

If you use CCleaner be careful with the last update.

CCleaner 5.31.6104 erases Mozilla Thunderbird & Firefox profiles.  (found out the hard way  :tickedoff:)

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=48428

Patch to fix Mozilla/Thunderbird issue released through a new build v5.31.6105 (13 Jun 2017). http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
but : this patch can't repair the damage done, only prevent it from happening.

Had to use system restore to return to normal ...

GJK

People still use CCleaner?

Wait, people still use Firefox & Thunderbird???

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

Lol! Well I, for one, still use both software mentioned.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bobarossa

Used CCleaner once.  Started using Firefox when my Opera desktop browser quit rendering too many web pages for my taste.

Pete Dero

Quote from: GJK on June 18, 2017, 06:57:43 AM

I do !   Works great with windows 95.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 18, 2017, 09:18:52 AM

When did you finally upgrade?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pete Dero

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 18, 2017, 09:40:02 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 18, 2017, 09:18:52 AM

When did you finally upgrade?

When my 500 MB HD with Windows 3.1 crashed.

RyanE

500Mb or 50Mb?  When I was using 3.1, I dreamed of a 500Mb drive.

Geezer

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm back on 5.13.6450 and that works fine so I'm not going to fix it if it isn't broken.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

GJK

Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2017, 09:08:50 AM
Used CCleaner once.  Started using Firefox when my Opera desktop browser quit rendering too many web pages for my taste.

I started to get the rendering issue with my old (v12.17!) install of Opera but I cleared all the cache and cookies and it now renders them ok again.  I also did an install of the latest (v45) in a separate directory and now use it primarily though I liked the toolbar layout better in the old version of Opera.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bobarossa

Quote from: GJK on June 19, 2017, 05:58:40 AM

I started to get the rendering issue with my old (v12.17!) install of Opera but I cleared all the cache and cookies and it now renders them ok again.  I also did an install of the latest (v45) in a separate directory and now use it primarily though I liked the toolbar layout better in the old version of Opera.
I was using 12.18 (has an encryption fix from 12.17) and didn't like look of new version so I switched to Firefox. I'll have to try clearing cache and cookies and see what happens.
Used CCleaner to try to cleanup registry but accidentally deleted a bunch of browser stuff I wanted to keep.  Haven't used it again.