Main Menu

GOG Connect

Started by Greybriar, June 10, 2017, 03:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I was considering using GOG Connect but I am not familiar with it and since it is "permanent" I am reluctant to make the change without more information. I know that by linking my Steam account to GOG Connect I am supposed to have some of the games I own on Steam added to my GOG account. Are there any drawbacks to doing this? How do those on this forum who have used GOG Connect feel about it?

Other than the information from GOG I linked to above, about the only thing I know about GOG Connect is what I've read in this article from PC Gamer.

What say ye, forum members? Yea or nay?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

jamus34

I use it as I find any opportunity I can get a DRM free game I'm all for it. It only works for select games at select times. I look at it as backup if steam ever goes tits up
Insert witty comment here.

-budd-

i have connect installed, its like steam basically with just about the same features. Friends list, access your library, shop, update your games, chat, screenshots, ect.ect. You don't need to install the client to port your steam games over, just link your steam account to GOG. I don't mind it but i don't use it much either. I do like that i have a DRM free version of the steam games ported over. You can installed the games through connect or download them and install from your web site library.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

jamus34

Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
i have connect installed, its like steam basically with just about the same features. Friends list, access your library, shop, update your games, chat, screenshots, ect.ect. You don't need to install the client to port your steam games over, just link your steam account to GOG. I don't mind it but i don't use it much either. I do like that i have a DRM free version of the steam games ported over. You can installed the games through connect or download them and install from your web site library.

Your thinking Galaxy. That is their steam like software. Connect is just that, a linking of your steam account to gog

-budd-

Quote from: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 05:26:57 PM

Your thinking Galaxy. That is their steam like software. Connect is just that, a linking of your steam account to gog

AAAA..yea...your right...ooooopppps. 

jamus34

Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 05:26:57 PM

AAAA..yea...your right...ooooopppps.

All good man. Who knows maybe gog is trying to be the next Uber with nefarious plans

Staggerwing

Or the next Nefarious with uber plans.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Destraex

I try to keep my number of clients to a minimum to keep my friends together. Same with voice coms.
Generally its just steam and discord. Done. I link non steam games to play through steam just so friends can come join when they see me load up through steam.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Staggerwing

Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Because, come TEOTWAWKI, we can still play those STEAM games offline that we also bought on GOG.

You know, during the down time between battling Giant Mutant Rats and defending our Road Warrior convoy from the Toecutter and his minions.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

Basically just to have a DRM free version.

jamus34

When posting from a cell phone proper English can kiss the fattest part of my arse

BanzaiCat

Greybriar

Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 09:17:03 PM

Basically just to have a DRM free version.

Yes, that's why I am considering taking the plunge with GOG Connect. But what I want to know is this: Are there are any hazards in linking my GOG account to my Steam account? I have Googled for an answer and haven't found anything yet. But since the change will be a permanent one, I don't wish to do something I will regret later.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Millipede

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 10, 2017, 08:57:54 PM

Because, come TEOTWAWKI, we can still play those STEAM games offline that we also bought on GOG.

You know, during the down time between battling Giant Mutant Rats and defending our Road Warrior convoy from the Toecutter and his minions.

Exactly!