Main Menu

The Orville

Started by mirth, May 16, 2017, 11:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Yeah, yeah. Mikey hates everything.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Not everything, but this looks horrible (for me anyway).
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I bet it will be better than Discovery.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 16, 2017, 01:23:43 PM
You're right, it does look like fun. Reminds me of some other sci/fi series but I can't quite put my finger on it. 

Something Quest? I feel confident that's close.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quark, With Richard Benjamin in the Captain role.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

bbmike

I bet that Quark will be better than The Orville.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on July 24, 2017, 07:55:06 AM
I bet that Quark will be better than The Orville.

I doubt that

OJsDad

Watched most of the first episode.  It was ok.  Not really all that funny nor very sci-fi.  Don't think it'll make it 1 season, unless it's cheap to produce and Fox doesn't have anything else to waste money on. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

WallysWorld

I watched it just for the reason that MacFarlane is a big Star Trek fan and you can certainly see the references to Trek in the show.

Not bad. Enough to get me to watch the next episode.

Early ratings on IMDB give the show 7.5/10.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

MetalDog

I missed the first 20 minutes.  Wasn't super impressed but I definitely got the vibe they were trying hard to emulate.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

WallysWorld

Seems like the show has gotten off to a decent start ratings wise:

"As it currently stands, "The Orville" averaged a 2.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 7.3 million total viewers, airing at 8 p.m. That means it is currently the second-biggest broadcast drama premiere in the key demo since NBC's "This Is Us" last September (2.8), excluding Super Bowl lead-ins. In addition, the show was the most social scripted program on broadcast Sunday based on total Twitter interactions."

Variety TV ratings/
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bbmike

I'm sticking with Quark.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak