Judge Dredd: Mega City One

Started by mirth, May 10, 2017, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 08, 2017, 02:40:59 PM

I think that's because - much like the Marvel and DC stuff - I'm not interested in them keeping with the "tongue in cheek" comic theme.

I want serious, dark stories from these movies. I want them remade, I want them remade well and I want them to be dark and serious.

I support this message.

Well.. there ARE exceptions.  I suppose Guardians of the Galaxy does the light humor pretty well.  But the others just make me *sigh* when they try to push the silly too much. 

Probably why I've enjoyed Netflix Daredevil (Punisher!) and the more recent Batman flicks most, of those respective IPs.  Not only "dark" but done well for the most part.  Looks like the same holds for Dredd.  Deadpool was the oddball because it's definitely "dark humor", which is also great if the writers can deliver (which they did!).

ComradeP

Seems this might be the first time in years where I can be the forum contrarian again.

I didn't like Dredd at all. There was no real world. There were people shooting up a high rise apartment building, but the world that building was in was largely missing. That might be fine if you enjoy the comics, but being dropped into the story didn't really work for me.

It had 1980's-1990's drugs and maniacs as if it wanted to be retro, but it wanted to be modern too.

"This guy is crazy", "this charming lady has powers that will turn out to be quite convenient", "slow-motion digital effects are trendy so we need some of those", "to avoid people asking questions about the world outside, we'll just lock down the building", "dystopian future, so the cavalry is corrupt". It all felt like watching one set piece move into place after another, with no character depth or explanations as to why certain events were taking place.

Stallone's Dredd wasn't much in terms of cinematic quality, but I found it to be enjoyable to watch as an action flick. If you expected a genuine Judge Dredd movie, I can see why you were disappointed.

Dredd was tedious to watch, not enjoyable at all. Not enough skin on the bones for me.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45