Judge Dredd: Mega City One

Started by mirth, May 10, 2017, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Con

Oh God Please let this be Karl Urban Dredd good and not Stallone Dredd Crap

Nefaro

Quote from: Con on May 10, 2017, 06:25:58 PM
Oh God Please let this be Karl Urban Dredd good and not Stallone Dredd Crap

+1

..and what is "IM Global Television"?

Wary of that boding well.

Quote from: ArticleWhat we do know is that that IM Global and games studio Rebellion are teaming up for it, and the people at those companies helped develop Battlestar Galactica, Helix, and the 2012 Karl Urban-starring Dredd film.

Hrmm.. okay.  Maybe not so bad then.  <:-)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Oh, come on. Sly Stallone's portrayal was pretty darned campy and not TOO far off the mark from the tongue-in-cheek satire of the original JD comics. That Karl Urban movie took the canon far too seriously.

Still, I loved both movies. In fact I just had Stallone's version on this past weekend - hadn't seen it in a while.

Sir Slash

I am firmly in the 'Urban' camp. That was a good flick.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

BanzaiCat

Let's not forget Urban was in Doom.

Sir Slash

And will be in Ragnorok as another bad-ass type. As long as the checks keep clearing, I'd keep the tight-faced seething anger too.  >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 07, 2017, 06:43:44 PM
Let's not forget Urban was in Doom.

Let's not forget Rob Schneider was in the Stallone Dredd.

BanzaiCat

Again. It was in the spirit of the comic. Perhaps too close to the spirit, but the spirit nevertheless.

mirth

It's a stretch to say a Rob Schneider comic relief was is in the spirit of the comic.

I just watched it on Netflix (for the first time in 20 years). It's as terrible as I remembered. I felt bad for Diane Lane to have to be in it.

Even Stallone realized how bad it was:

QuoteThirteen years after the release of Judge Dredd, Sylvester Stallone discussed his feelings about the movie in an issue of Uncut magazine in 2008:

I loved that property when I read it, because it took a genre that I love, what you could term the 'action morality film' and made it a bit more sophisticated. It had political overtones. It showed how if we don't curb the way we run our judicial system, the police may end up running our lives. It dealt with archaic governments; it dealt with cloning and all kinds of things that could happen in the future. It was also bigger than any film I've done in its physical stature and the way it was designed. All the people were dwarfed by the system and the architecture; it shows how insignificant human beings could be in the future. There's a lot of action in the movie and some great acting, too. It just wasn't balls to the wall. But I do look back on Judge Dredd as a real missed opportunity. It seemed that lots of fans had a problem with Dredd removing his helmet, because he never does in the comic books. But for me it is more about wasting such great potential there was in that idea; just think of all the opportunities there were to do interesting stuff with the Cursed Earth scenes. It didn't live up to what it could have been. It probably should have been much more comic, really humorous, and fun. What I learned out of that experience was that we shouldn't have tried to make it Hamlet; it's more Hamlet and Eggs.

He later elaborated:

From what I recall, the whole project was troubled from the beginning. The philosophy of the film was not set in stone – by that I mean "Is this going to be a serious drama or with comic overtones" like other science fiction films that were successful? So a lotta pieces just didn't fit smoothly. It was sort of like a feathered fish. Some of the design work on it was fantastic and the sets were incredibly real, even standing two feet away, but there was just no communication. I knew we were in for a long shoot when, for no explainable reason Danny Cannon, who's rather diminutive, jumped down from his director's chair and yelled to everyone within earshot, "FEAR me! Everyone should FEAR me!" then jumped back up to his chair as if nothing happened. The British crew was taking bets on his life expectancy.

Sir Slash

It was a bad movie. A Dredd-ful movie.  :P

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

mirth