Mini's on a boardgame

Started by acctingman, April 29, 2017, 12:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Has anyone used mini's for a boardgame?

I was thinking Conflict of Heroes would be fun with 6mm GHQ minis.

Really hope I didn't step into the realm of blasphemer here by asking this?  :o

Steelgrave

I used to play Monopoly with my painted AD&D miniatures....does that count?   :)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: acctingman on April 29, 2017, 12:16:30 PM
Has anyone used mini's for a boardgame?

I was thinking Conflict of Heroes would be fun with 6mm GHQ minis.

Really hope I didn't step into the realm of blasphemer here by asking this?  :o

We used the collectible A&A minis & maps for some Tank on Tank games. 

A few years ago when Mark was still running LNLP, he had some W@W games at a con in Raleigh w/ 6mm minis on an oversized map.

Then there's always Tide of Iron, M'44, Battle Cry, etc
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

acctingman

I've been thinking that with miniatures on the board, while aesthetically pleasing, there is the issue of having the stats on a separate sheet and may cause some slow down to the game.

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on April 30, 2017, 12:07:57 PM
I've been thinking that with miniatures on the board, while aesthetically pleasing, there is the issue of having the stats on a separate sheet and may cause some slow down to the game.

That's always been my view.  Where counters/pieces with stats on them being substituted being counterproductive.

But there are a few cases where I'd appreciate picking up a load of little minis & painting them.  The Command & Colors series is a good example.  They don't have stats on the pieces themselves, and I'm not all that crazed about the wooden blocks with the stickers on them - compared to having minis, anyway.  More so since my first intro to the system was the older version of Battle Cry which had little (cheap-ish) plastic minis, which was great.