A new Lutzen 1632 -- a day late

Started by MengJiao, April 24, 2017, 09:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Lutzen was Gustavus Adolfus' last battle -- especially since he was shot to bits halfway through it.

But things might have gone differently.  The King could have waited a day and brought up more troops (Saxons in the center -- more mercenaries on the Swedish right) while the town burned and Pappenheim arrived (late and in some disarray on the Imperial left behind the Croats along the raised road).

Whether this would have made a lot of difference is difficult to guess.  The Imperialist still have a massive battery at the wind mill and the miller's house just east of the gardens and mud wall of the town and there is still the ditch across the center.  But there's no fog or smoke and the King might not get lost and killed out there somewhere.

So we will see:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 24, 2017, 09:42:43 PM

So we will see:

Barely into turn 2:  Gustavus has rolled well and is starting to attack Pappenheim and Isolano.  Isolano inflicts some losses and gets back.  Pappenhiem's cavalry takes some hits and Pappenheim hasn't responded yet.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 25, 2017, 07:44:31 PM

Barely into turn 2:  Gustavus has rolled well and is starting to attack Pappenheim and Isolano.  Isolano inflicts some losses and gets back.  Pappenhiem's cavalry takes some hits and Pappenheim hasn't responded yet.

End of Turn 4:  the Salvo smoke is still clearing.  One hour into the battle and Isolano is dead.  The Imperialists have lost most of their artillery, but their main line is still completely intact.  The Imperialists might have done some counter-attacking, but they failed most of their rolls to shift to charge orders.  It doesn't help that the average modifier for their 4 commanders is .5 with Isolano dead while the Swedes  average is almost 2.  The command modifier is the most important parameter in the game since it modifies continuation, preemption and orders change.
  As a result both sides spent turn 4 reforming and rallying:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 26, 2017, 08:30:02 PM

End of Turn 4:  the Salvo smoke is still clearing.  One hour into the battle and Isolano is dead.  The Imperialists have lost most of their artillery, but their main line is still completely intact.  The Imperialists might have done some counter-attacking, but they failed most of their rolls to shift to charge orders.  It doesn't help that the average modifier for their 4 commanders is .5 with Isolano dead while the Swedes  average is almost 2.  The command modifier is the most important parameter in the game since it modifies continuation, preemption and orders change.
  As a result both sides spent turn 4 reforming and rallying:

Turns 5 and 6 were pretty much the end for the Imperialists.  Knyphausen (who generally doesn't get rated very highly -- perhaps because his first name was 'Dodo') rolled just as much as needed and no more, but he broke clear through the Imperial center, splitting Collodero's command (despite Collodero's finally managing to make a counter-attack -- which went pretty badly) and heading straight for the Imperial baggage (worth 40 points right there).  Gustavus at least didn't get killed and Bernard took the windmill battery (which historically he did twice).  I'm declaring victory for the Swedes.....yay?

bob48

Excellent stuff - more please  :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on May 01, 2017, 04:58:44 PM
Excellent stuff - more please  :bd:

Thanks!  I think the next AAR ( really DARs since I don't exactly know what is going to happen when I start) will be another hybrid:  Group 11 Spirfire VBs on a Ramrod in late 1941 against the ME 109F4s of KG 2 -- Wing Leader Victory units using Wing Leader Supremacy rules.

I have to say Wing Leader Supremacy is a beautiful game.  I got a very sat-upon copy (bargin!) and getting it all out of the box was kind of like digging up King Tut (battered shrink wrap -- you know the Egyptians would have loved that stuff -- under packing and then items under that -- retrieving and taping as I go deeper into the wreckage....):  "Things, beautiful things..." to quote Tut's principle excavator.

Anyway, that's the plan.