Rockabilly / Rock & Roll Music?

Started by Ian C, April 19, 2017, 01:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Anyone here into Rockabilly / Rock & Roll? I have no idea where the best sites are and could do with a few pointers - Googling is one thing but knowledgeable recommendations are another - thanks.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

aw man - that takes me back to my youth. I was a huge Rockabilly/Psychobilly fan in the 80's - unfortunately though - I cannae help yae pal  :hug:
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

I guess the best known bands are The Brian Setzer Orchestra and The Stray Cats.

If it's bands you are looking for, most of these http://www.deezer.com/artist/16281/related_artist are rockabilly related.

I can't help you with any sites.

Ian C

These are all good  - thanks. I was wondering if there are any bands/artists that do original music that isn't just tributes / soundalikes.

And of course, those retro ladies are something else...

bayonetbrant

Stray Cats were my first concert, back in '83.

Look into Dave Edmunds / Rockpile and you'll probably find some enjoyable stuff
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

The Cramps were always good for some extreme rockabilly. The band 'X' also had a few good rockabilly-ish songs over the years.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Arctic Blast posted this a week or two ago in the Jukebox thread.  I liked it pretty well:

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Ian C

Thanks for those! That ^ sounds like Psychobilly ? So many sub-genres...

Martok

While admittedly not big into the genre as a whole, I've long been a fan of Reverend Horton Heat.  I got to see him live at First Avenue in Minneapolis back in the day; he's still probably my favorite live performance that I've had the pleasure of attending. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces