Windows 10 Creator Update game mode

Started by Yskonyn, April 18, 2017, 03:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Have you guys fiddled with the game mode yet that came with the new Win10 update?
You can call up the Gamebar with WindowsKey + G (be sure to unlock the key on your keyboard if it has an option to lock it.... like I had. ;) ).
Then press the cog icon to call up the settings can tick 'Use Game Mode for this game' (off by default).
You will have to do this for every game you want to play seperately.

Personally I have not yet seen any improvements yet while using it, but I am curious to read about your findings.  O0
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

Yikes...didn't even know it existed. Thanks for pointing it out. Will have to check it out.

jomni

So it's a screenshot and recording tool?  What else can it do?

Sir Slash

Hot Damn! This is good news as I'm just now getting up courage to switch-up to Ten. Thank you for the Head's-Up.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

chemkid

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 18, 2017, 09:52:18 AM
Hot Damn! This is good news as I'm just now getting up courage to switch-up to Ten. Thank you for the Head's-Up.
upgrading to w10 doesn't need courage, it's just giving in to the current 'meta' of pc usage! it would take courage to make a switch to some obscure linux derivate but that would mean to stay clear of proper gaming, too. right?!  >:D

jomni

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2017, 06:34:08 PM
Quote from: Millipede on April 18, 2017, 11:37:27 AM
RPS review of Windows 10 Game Mode...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/13/windows-10-game-mode-review/

Wait.  So it's supposed to increase performance too?

It doesnt really increase performance as much as its supposed to give a more stable performance. The idea is that with game mode enabled Windows will put several processes on sleep mode and free up as many resources as it can for the game.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

RyanE

I have used Process Lasso for several years now.  I ran a quick benchmark with Steel Beasts.  With my PL config, I was getting 42-48 fps in my benchmark scenario.  With PL disabled and Win10 Game Mode enabled, I got 43-47 fps.  Just three run throughs on both.

What I did find is that email and IM didn't update while Game Mode was enabled.  With PL, I can get basically the same results, but have a lot more control over the priority of the apps and porcesses.  Its a typical MS feature in that it comes years after third parties have already solved the issue and MS's solution isn't quite as functional.

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on April 19, 2017, 06:42:36 AM
I have used Process Lasso for several years now.  I ran a quick benchmark with Steel Beasts.  With my PL config, I was getting 42-48 fps in my benchmark scenario.  With PL disabled and Win10 Game Mode enabled, I got 43-47 fps.  Just three run throughs on both.

For comparison : how much fps did you have without PL and without W10 game mode ?
Do you use the free of pro version ?

Greybriar

Quote from: Millipede on April 18, 2017, 11:37:27 AM
RPS review of Windows 10 Game Mode...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/13/windows-10-game-mode-review/

After reading the article, it doesn't look like Windows 10 Game Mode will improve the gameplay on my PC.

Quote from: chemkid on April 18, 2017, 12:28:33 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 18, 2017, 09:52:18 AM
upgrading to w10 doesn't need courage, it's just giving in to the current 'meta' of pc usage! it would take courage to make a switch to some obscure linux derivate but that would mean to stay clear of proper gaming, too. right?!  >:D

If it hadn't been for the fact that there isn't a Linux version for every game coming out these days, I would have had Linux instead of Windows 10 for an operating system on my new PC. As things currently are, you have to have a Windows operating system installed on your PC if you don't want to miss out on playing any of the new computer games being released.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

RyanE

I use Process Lasso, I use the free version.  If I run a relatively clean machine with no apps running, PL gives me 2-5 fps as an average.  Last time I tested was with IL2 BOS.  But the main thing it lets me do is keep some of my apps running without killing my game performance.

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on April 19, 2017, 11:56:57 AM
I use Process Lasso, I use the free version. 

If you're interested in the pro version you can get it a -50% for the next couple of days.

https://bitsum.com/computerbild/

For the next few days, we'll offer a 50% discount to those who decide to purchase a Process Lasso Pro license, something that not only gives you a license, but supports Bitsum's continued independent innovation. Simply use the discount code CBD50 .

Yskonyn

Does this Process Lasso app actually improve performance?
I mean with modern processors, plenty of RAM and SSDs I just can't shrug off the feeling these applications are a relic?
Win10's Game mode hasn't made a shred of difference on my system either ever since I have activated it.