Lots of buzz on Trump preparing a strike on Norks with China support

Started by JasonPratt, April 12, 2017, 08:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 12, 2017, 12:03:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2017, 12:00:45 PM
Is there any scenario where the Chinese would actually ally with the US against North Korea, or is the best the US can hope for, if it comes down to a strike, is for China to look the other way?

Doesn't sound like the Chinese military is in any mood to re-fight the original Korean War.

Personally, I think China cutting off trade with the Norks is the best we could hope for, but then again, that's not insubstantial since China is their largest/only benefactor.

They mentioned restricting oil. That's pretty huge.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

We should deploy Pratt to N. Korea to start a conversation with them!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 12, 2017, 12:05:44 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 12, 2017, 11:56:06 AM
To be clear, the buzz was more along the lines of Trump preparing for a strike, not actually ordering one yet, but definitely considering it. I should edit the thread title accordingly.

Edit complete.

Well, you did manage to get a good conversation going  :coolsmiley:

And it hasn't derailed yet. Impressive.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2017, 12:06:33 PM
We should deploy Pratt to N. Korea to start a conversation with them!

We're sending Gus Team Seal

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Pratt can't go. He has to finish his AAR against Barth in DC 1. We need that Fix more than the world needs peace. Sorry world.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on April 12, 2017, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on April 12, 2017, 12:05:44 PM

Well, you did manage to get a good conversation going  :coolsmiley:

And it hasn't derailed yet. Impressive.

Oh, you've jinxed us now, brother!

OJsDad

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 12, 2017, 12:00:09 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 12, 2017, 11:43:35 AM
Interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/world/asia/trump-china-north-korea-xi-jinping.html

Nice find. I suspect three things are happening. (1) The Chinese may see N. Korea as being more trouble on the world stage than it is currently worth, (2) Trump may be the first President since Ronald Reagan who our adversaries view as a "wild card" militarily, and (3) China is going to want something substantial in return for it's cooperation, such as some give on the South China Sea perhaps. One thing is for certain: if China suddenly turns on the Norks, it's not because they suddenly realized what bad guys they are.

Good points.  I'll one more though Steelie. 

Trump has been threating China's trade with the US since he got into the race for president.  China cannot take the chance that they could lose their $300+B trade deficit if they don't help cleanup the mess in NK. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

I think tonight when Fat Boy goes to sleep, everybody ought to slip-out the country without telling him. Let him make his own Bacon & Eggs in the morning for once. Or tell him if he doesn't straighten-up, Hillary will be his new ambassador from the U.S. to deal with. And then 10 years from now, every kid in N. Korea will look like Bill including his own. That would sure-as hell work for me-- in so many ways.

How's that for sabotaging the thread? I CAN do better.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Evidently the Lingerie Category in Area 51 has become publicly visible this week, so perhaps the threat of thread derailments has lessened.

One of the buzz videos I saw this morning indicated the Chinese had told the Norks that if Kim tries to go north to take some nearby oil, once China cuts him off, it'll be the last mistake he and his country ever make. I'm not linking to it because I'm dubious about the sourcing, but it's certainly plausible as a pre-emptive threat: play nice or we stop your oil; try to take our oil after we cut you off, and you will learn the meaning of not playing nice. "It's time to grow up, boy," is definitely the message the Chinese are sending.

Trump has seen significant approval for his airstrike on Syria (including from the Democrats; heck Hillary called for the airstrike first a few days ago!), and may think rattling that saber as a threat to North Korea for diplomacy purposes will score him more points on his cratering approval ratings. He marketed himself as a guy who knows how to negotiate winning deals, foreign and domestic, and he has failed spectacularly on public attempts in his first hundred days. I don't have any problem believing that with the birthday celebration of NK's founder coming up along with a likely propaganda test, he intends to scotch that test with force when/if it's tried or else make the Norks back down behind their bluster: after all, they threatened to nuke the US a few days ago the moment the first bullet flew in World War 3, which was their way of looking like a political player on the world stage. A more sober political player would just say, "yeah, that's typical Norkiness," and let it slide. Trump may think he sees an opportunity to teach the Norks not to aggro Godzilla and so counter-bluff down their rhetoric with a carrier group poised to laser-guide some munitions into his windows.

The problem comes if Kim really is as deluded as he seems to be, and decides the only way to get respect is to call the US' bluff. Then Trump either bites his own ego down, or he decaps North Korea on a CMANO first strike operation (expect to see that mission pack updated soon... ;) )

If he's seriously planning option two -- and he was talking with Xi in Florida when he greenlit the airfield strike, so Xi knows he can pull the trigger -- it would be to his advantage to let the Chinese know they have an opportunity to score some world political points by helping defuse the situation with a 'soft' technique. They wouldn't even need to ask for a quid pro: the political capital alone of being seen to defuse both Kim and Trump's dangerous pissing match would be reason enough to try. Everyone wins except North Korea: and if Trump decaps them, then China might work with the South to stabilize the region, being seen as cooperative saviors for the abused North people. The US sees an exit light at the end of the tunnel from the watch on the Parallel, and gets several kinds of credit; Trump can point to solving the Korean Problem on his sheet for his legacy.

This all presumes the North doesn't mobilize under one or more juntas to resist Chinese/South overthrow. Then it's just a morass that the Americans started and left others to clean up. Again. This time with unsecured nukes floating in the wind, who knows where.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Can you imagine the trillions of dollars that could potentially be made by reuniting Korea if events go the right way? I think Trump can imagine it. And maybe the Chinese now too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2017, 03:58:56 PM
Can you imagine the trillions of dollars that could potentially be made by reuniting Korea if events go the right way? I think Trump can imagine it. And maybe the Chinese now too.

Trump Plaza Pyongyang

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth