Hey Flight Simmers...

Started by Jarhead0331, March 30, 2017, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Xplane 11 is available on Steam. By all accounts, Xplane11 comes with the best stock scenery and flight models commercially available. I flew one simple training flight and was stunned by the number of 3D objects and buildings on the ground.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269950/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Slick Wilhelm

Looks very nice. I just don't see the point of flying an airplane without guns, rockets or bombs.  :)

DoctorQuest

I do. I am in flight training. But I fear my rig won't handle it. :(
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on March 30, 2017, 04:01:15 PM
Looks very nice. I just don't see the point of flying an airplane without guns, rockets or bombs.  :)

+1

I'm an explosion & lazy virtual-G whore.

Tuna

Sunk so much money into FSX and then to build a new system and have the Steam version just crash over and over.. Done with Flight Sims... Like Nef, will go for the ones where you can blow stuff up, and they seem to be more stable anyways.

DoctorQuest

I still fly FS2004 and it is rock solid. Sure, not state of the art graphics but good enough for my tastes.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

IronX

Having exclusively flown combat flight sims, this makes a nice change and can be challenging in its own right due to the highfalutin technical aspects of getting up in the air, navigating and landing in the right place. I'm still working out how to program a basic flight plan into the magic numbers box.  It requires a hefty rig to get the most out of it too. The scenery is good enough and it's pretty cool to fly out of your local airport and be able to recognize main roads and other natural features (buildings are generic and often ill-placed). I've had a couple of CTDs, but for the most part it's pretty stable. Four barrel-rolls out of five.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: IronX on March 30, 2017, 05:33:30 PM
Having exclusively flown combat flight sims, this makes a nice change and can be challenging in its own right due to the highfalutin technical aspects of getting up in the air, navigating and landing in the right place. I'm still working out how to program a basic flight plan into the magic numbers box.  It requires a hefty rig to get the most out of it too. The scenery is good enough and it's pretty cool to fly out of your local airport and be able to recognize main roads and other natural features (buildings are generic and often ill-placed). I've had a couple of CTDs, but for the most part it's pretty stable. Four barrel-rolls out of five.

If you've been playing it for awhile, you've been playing the beta version. That may explain some of your CTDs and technical issues.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

IronX

True, but it's pretty well up to date. I'm sure the devs will iron out the gremlins soon enough.

RyanE

My son has been training to be a commercial pilot for the last three years.  He started using MSFS.  About two years ago he started using X-Plane after he built a cockpit in his room.  He used to use MSFS for procedural simulation around the flight, radios, and ATC.  He used X-Plane for feel of flight for his training aircraft.  Since X-Plane 11, he has stopped using MSFS and Prepar3D (the continuation of MSFS).  He says he can finally do all of his procedural and VFR stuff in X-Plane.  He was already moving in that direction with the latest releases of X-Plane 10, but 11 sealed it.

Jarhead0331

I'm also discovering that xplane11 has fantastic multi-monitor support that is native to the game and may be adjusted easily within the ingame settings.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

I've been flying X-Plane 11 since early in the Beta.... the best flight sim to date imho.  However, while the weather engine has improved, the clouds etc... still are behind.  I am using XEnviro, but I have 0 stutters, getting high FPS with a lot of world gen and traffic... my FPS has improved with each update.

jomni

Being a long time XP10 user, I haven't gotten into 11 yet. I guess it's time to do so.  Too many games so little time.

Skoop

X-plane 11 is a huge improvement over 10.  I still fly prepar every now then for the pmdg planes, but the out of memory errors suck.  Rumor has it that prepar v4 will be x64, until that happens, it's XP11 all the way.