Steel Division 1944 (by wargame red dragon devs) in game trailer and unit stream

Started by Destraex, March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

trek

There are two mods in the Steam Workshop under Game Play that the Eugen Devs have already posted: One that eliminates the ABC Phases (you start with everything) and another that gives the US the Sherman M4A3 for 60 points in the first phase if you're playing the default phase mode.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I set up a battle between the Canucks and the SS at Capriquet airfield.  Bloody vicious map.  Lots of open terrain and clear LOS.  Shermans don't hold up well against StuGs and 75mm AT guns.

trek

Shermans didn't hold up too well against much of anything. Hence the nickname "Ronson" by Sherman tank crewman (named after the popular cigarette lighter) as they most often "flamed up" after being hit. At least the Brits had sense enough to up-gun their own Sherman variant the "Firefly."

Rayfer

Finished seven of the eight boot camp tutorials.  IMHO they are very well done and do a good job covering the basics.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 24, 2017, 11:39:34 AM
I set up a battle between the Canucks and the SS at Capriquet airfield.  Bloody vicious map.  Lots of open terrain and clear LOS.  Shermans don't hold up well against StuGs and 75mm AT guns.

I find my StuGs get murdered pretty fast by Allied armor. This is a point I think the game is weak on, probably because the game doesn't properly model how StuGs were meant to be used.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

Quote from: Rayfer on May 24, 2017, 02:53:19 PM
Finished seven of the eight boot camp tutorials.  IMHO they are very well done and do a good job covering the basics.

Thought the Boot Camp was pretty good -- though the voice acting is dreadful (platoon is not pronounced "PLAH-toon", nor do we usually refer to tanks as "armors" ... the narration was so stiff that I'm not entirely sure it wasn't some voice emulator instead of a real actor.... I know, nitpicking; it's a French company, le Anglais isn't their strong point...)

HoodedHorseJoe

You should hear the voice-overs in some of the pre-briefing cut-scenes of the campaign. It sounds like they literally just go that auto-reader tool Windows has to read out the dialogue. It's hilariously bad and robotic.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Destraex

I posted on their forum a while back about the voices. British sound American etc.
The Canadians sounded reasonable when I played them last night. But they had some strange phrases and some of the voice acting was obviously in French sentence syntax.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

I'm glad they put most of their effort, time and energy into making the game play great. Yes, the voice acting is pretty bad, but the game otherwise shines so brightly, I don't think the corny accents should be the focus of discussion.

I've decided to not let the pre-mission foibles get to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 25, 2017, 06:31:19 AM
I'm glad they put most of their effort, time and energy into making the game play great. Yes, the voice acting is pretty bad, but the game otherwise shines so brightly, I don't think the corny accents should be the focus of discussion.

I certainly agree -- the game is fantastic. I guess it was just jarring to me that in a game that otherwise has such stellar production values, the tutorial 'sergeant' sounded so amateurish. Admittedly a quibble that in no way detracts from what Eugen has achieved here.

My one wish going forward is that Eugen will introduce dynamic campaigns along the lines of Airland Battle and Red Dragon. Not sure if that's something they could offer in DLC or if we'll have to wait for a sequel. But the campaigns -- especially in Red Dragon -- are so terrific that it seems a shame SD'44 offers the far less interesting campaign mechanics of European Escalation.

HoodedHorseJoe

I loved the dynamic campaigns of ALB/RD as well.

I can understand why they went the way they did for this though and I do still quite like the Solo missions.

Fantastic game all round though.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

JasonPratt

Yeah, the tutorial instructor does sound like a robot! -- doesn't affect the gameplay, just funny. I've seen that they're going to re-dub some of the in-game unit comments, though, so yay.

What's more important is how many of us are going to get together to play the game this weekend.  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!