Steel Division 1944 (by wargame red dragon devs) in game trailer and unit stream

Started by Destraex, March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: Destraex on April 26, 2017, 09:00:14 PM
A blog on the single player campaign and what it will be like when it arrives
http://www.eugensystems.com/steel-division-normandy-44-creating-the-single-player-campaign/

It seems there's no mention of co-op, that's a bit shame and a step back compared to ALB & RD.

Destraex

I had no idea red dragon was coop... also no idea air land was.
I bet a lot of people did not.
I really enjoyed the original European escalation single player campaign. Unlocking the units for multi.

The other campaigns in ALB and RD stuffed my multiplayer up because the unit values stayed static while multiplayer was constantly balanced.
This meant using an Abrams for instance in the campaign and having it be so tough then going to multi and having it less or more tough. I remember playing the british campaign and being completely annoyed that challenger tanks seemed so weak. When I got used to it I was not taking advantage of their toughness in multiplayer as I should have been.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tinkershuffle

In fact I'm not sure if RD was co-op or not.. but ALB most definitely was. :)

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

HoodedHorseJoe

Been playing this a fair bit this week as it's a slow week at work.

I always found the Wargame franchise evoked very complicated emotions when it comes to valuing yourself as you play the game, and Steel Division still has the same... problem? If it is a problem?

To illustrate the point: Played a 10 v 10 the other day. It was a blast, utter carnage, but I was definitely the weak link on my team. My opposite had a Beute Firefly that just killed anything I threw at it, and a really good arty game as he/she would just shell the crap out of anything and everything on my side of the field. They must have had great recon as I couldn't hide anything. It was extremely frustrating and I just couldn't do anything to them, apart from one counter towards the end where I counter-pushed with some armour and halted their advance.

I felt horrible, like I was letting the side down... but we won. My teammates were winning elsewhere and despite my failing I'd like to think I held onto enough ground to secure our lead and I was being aided by someone who also struggled against this person. Did what I could, and I didn't feel good about my performance but we still won and it was very confusing, emotionally :D.

Steel Division (and Wargame) aren't very good at teaching you how to get better mind.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WargamerJoe on April 28, 2017, 11:52:11 AM
Been playing this a fair bit this week as it's a slow week at work.

I always found the Wargame franchise evoked very complicated emotions when it comes to valuing yourself as you play the game, and Steel Division still has the same... problem? If it is a problem?

To illustrate the point: Played a 10 v 10 the other day. It was a blast, utter carnage, but I was definitely the weak link on my team. My opposite had a Beute Firefly that just killed anything I threw at it, and a really good arty game as he/she would just shell the crap out of anything and everything on my side of the field. They must have had great recon as I couldn't hide anything. It was extremely frustrating and I just couldn't do anything to them, apart from one counter towards the end where I counter-pushed with some armour and halted their advance.

I felt horrible, like I was letting the side down... but we won. My teammates were winning elsewhere and despite my failing I'd like to think I held onto enough ground to secure our lead and I was being aided by someone who also struggled against this person. Did what I could, and I didn't feel good about my performance but we still won and it was very confusing, emotionally :D.

Steel Division (and Wargame) aren't very good at teaching you how to get better mind.

Sounds like all the hallmarks have a fantastic game to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Yep. It's an emotional roller coaster when some fancy pants knows the game so well. That is part of the reason I am an advocate for Eugen allowing map modding or procedural maps. More maps would equal more opportunity for newer players who don't know the maps so well.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

-budd-

New update today.

2 new maps-Colleville/Mont Ormel

2 new divisions-2e Division Blindée and 21. Panzerdivision
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried out the Frenchies on the Colleville map.   It hurts me to say but I did better with them than any other division I've tried so far.  I had 80% of the map by the time phase B started.  That ain't right!

jomni

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 04, 2017, 01:30:41 AM
I tried out the Frenchies on the Colleville map.   It hurts me to say but I did better with them than any other division I've tried so far.  I had 80% of the map by the time phase B started.  That ain't right!

Eugen is a French company.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

HoodedHorseJoe

Just threw together some builds with the new divisions. Will hopefully test them out over lunch.

Has anyone else noticed the the Division builders seems to have all the divisions in it now? Only some are greyed out?

(Or is that just me?)
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rayfer

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Rayfer on May 04, 2017, 07:47:47 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 04, 2017, 07:20:02 AM
There are two more divisions being released on May 17th.

And more maps? I hope so!

Seems a bit odd considering the game is out in full on May 23rd. Seems a bit of a small window to get feedback.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse