Getting The First Pic Of An Event Horizon?

Started by Nefaro, March 28, 2017, 05:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Fingers crossed.

Astronomers to Peer Into a Black Hole for 1st Time with Event Horizon Telescope
By Carole Mundell, University of Bath | March 26, 2017 08:37am ET

<...snip..>

On April 5-14 2017, the team behind the Event Horizon Telescope hopes to test the fundamental theories of black-hole physics by attempting to take the first ever image of a black hole's event horizon (the point at which theory predicts nothing can escape). By connecting a global array of radio telescopes together to form the equivalent of a giant Earth-sized telescope – using a technique known as Very Long Baseline Interferometry and Earth-aperture synthesis – scientists will peer into the heart of our Milky Way galaxy where a black hole that is 4m times more massive than our sun – Sagittarius A* – lurks.

Astronomers know there is a disk of dust and gas orbiting around the black hole. The path the light from this material takes will be distorted in the gravitational field of the black hole. Its brightness and colour are also expected to be altered in predictable ways. The tell-tale signature astronomers hope to see with the Event Horizon Telescope is a bright crescent shape rather than a disk. And they may even see the shadow of the black hole's event horizon against the backdrop of this brightly shining swirling material.

<...snip..>

http://www.space.com/36209-astronomers-will-peer-inside-black-event-horizon-telescope.html

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Wasn't there a thread floating around somewhere which posits that 'Event Horizon' may be a sort of 'ancestor' to every story in the WH40K-verse? The titular ship even looks like it was made from parts of a basilica:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

My brain just reached its first event horizon for the day.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2017, 09:43:27 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 28, 2017, 09:40:35 PM
Or that damned creepy red robot?  :hide:

HK-47?

HK-47 isn't creepy.  He's downright adorable.   :dreamer:

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 29, 2017, 05:43:06 AM
Wasn't there a thread floating around somewhere which posits that 'Event Horizon' may be a sort of 'ancestor' to every story in the WH40K-verse? The titular ship even looks like it was made from parts of a basilica:

I've seen the discussions before, and wondered about it myself.

Wasn't sure just how far the Warp travel + chaos theme had advanced by the time the movie was made.  IMDB says it came out in 1997, so it was probably being created in '96.  Did WH40K have all it's current Warp themes by that point in time?  Did the writer(s) repackage the demonic warp travel theme from 40k, or was it the other way around? 

Most of my knowledge about it, in the 90s, came from one of the earliest 40K manuals I had purchased back in the late '80s.  Never really got into tabletop mini games, so I certainly didn't continue buying 40k manuals into the '90s.  WH40k was pretty different back then, compared to today, including the lore.  I don't recall the warp/chaos demon relationship being present in it's earlier edition, but it's been a long time and I didn't commit much of it to memory at the time.

Maybe some of you can remember where the WH40k lore sat on the subject, back in '96?

Also.. excellent movie background YT channel, with lots of interesting factoid tidbits about the creation of specific films.  Here's one on EH:

bayonetbrant

sorry, but I found the EH movie to be kind of "ugh"- I just didn't enjoy it at all

The Black Hole, on the other hand, had promise, but crammed 45-minute TV show into a 2-hour movie
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 29, 2017, 07:33:10 AM
sorry, but I found the EH movie to be kind of "ugh"- I just didn't enjoy it at all

+1 It wasn't very good.

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

When it first came out Event Horizon terrified me. I recently watched it again on Netflix and didn't appreciate it as much. Still enjoyed it though.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Space Hulk in 1993 talked about the chaos problems of warp travel; I'm pretty sure the rulebook mentioned demons along the way although the game naturally didn't focus on that topic.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Saw EH in the movies.  It was plenty scary then.  Like Gus, I just recently watched again on Netflix.  I watched it with my daughter and she really liked it.  Helped me to retain some of my like for it, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

As for the Chaos Marines, the Vengeance of the Blood Angels in 1995 definitely featured them (I double-checked the date to be sure of the time, and also if my memories of Chaos Marines was correct), so they must have been around for at least some time before that. The Gothic-horror architecture had certainly been around earlier, so far as the boardgame of Space Hulk is concerned.

Considering that Paul Anderson was an avid game player, any influence would have run that way at first. But of course the GW crew could also have borrowed themes when expanding later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!