UK Parliament on lockdown

Started by steve58, March 22, 2017, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Latest news; One policeman and two other people confirmed dead, and the attacker now also dead. Around 20 people injured.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Father Ted

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 22, 2017, 11:51:36 AM
Quote from: NYTPolitical violence is relatively rare in Britain, where gun ownership is seriously restricted.

...I know what those first seven words mean in English, and what they would normally mean used in a sentence in that order, but I'm having trouble synching that claim with history.   :-\

Jason, I generally have a lot of time for what you say, but I'm not happy with this.  I can see that this event has fuck-all to do with US v UK gun-ownership laws, but you using this tragedy to make a political point to do so is just doing the same as NYT.

As a Brit I'm proud of our restriction of gun ownership.  Even so I don't make a told-you-so post every time legally-bought guns depopulate a US high school.

Sorry guys, just touched a bit of a nerve...

Anyway, BBC now says the terrorist killed three people, including a police officer before he was shot and killed.

Barthheart

Pretty sure Jason was making a comment on the NYT not understanding the history of terrorist attacks in Britain... which as we all know are quite a bit more than "relatively rare" as the article put it. Nothing to do with gun control.

Bison

Jason's post had absolutely nothing to do with gun ownership in England.  It had everything to do with the NYT writer that is a) ignorant of past political terrorism in the U.K. specifically in regard to the IRA and Northern Ireland and b) injecting a political agenda item into a current and ongoing tragedy that had nothing to with a gun used to kill innocent people.  Your words read like someone looking to pick a fight. 

I just pray this isn't a new norm in England or anywhere else for that matter.

OJsDad

Reuters is reporting 5 dead, including the terrorist, and about 40 wounded. 

Prayers to all of the victims and their families. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

Fuck this guy and anyone who attempts to rationalize his cowardly actions.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on March 22, 2017, 06:33:57 PM
Prayers to all of the victims and their families. 

+1 million
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I'm afraid this already is a new norm all over the world.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I know.  I wish it weren't though.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

The vehicle v. pedestrians tactic is certainly becoming a new norm. Not certain there is any solution for that besides festooning all open areas with zig-zagged concrete barriers.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

Damned this time its London again
:'(

we have to go to the roots
and outlaw the salafistic/whabistic interpretation of Islam in our countries as the political movement that it is.
and kick out those followers
(wherever that is possible and individuals don't already got granted citizenship as immigrant by our own stupidity)

spooky backyard and garage "mosques" had to be closed, in the 'normal' mosques Imans need a qualification from an university in-country and have to preach there in the language of the nation they live in. 
no more spooky traveling guest preachers holding lessons in backrooms of ramshackle garages to flocks of foreigners ("immigrants", so called 'refugees', whatever)       

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 22, 2017, 07:43:28 PM
Not certain there is any solution for that besides festooning all open areas with zig-zagged concrete barriers.

in a few years all (newer) vehicles will have permanent collision warning assistance with automatic-break. (as a steppingstone to full automated driving)
With those vehicles you cant hit any objects with some speed above parking-speed even on intention.

actually i am fearing for the fist improvised hobby-drone-abuse terror attack :(
(i already saw looking straight-down on-board IS video footage from probably a quadcopter which released a improvised smallish kind of pipe bomb on top of an (open turreted) stationary Iraqi humvee ...it took out the vehicle  ...the Iraqi forces where close approaching outskirts of a city doing leapfrogging-tactics with their cars)         

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)