RIP Chuck Berry

Started by OJsDad, March 18, 2017, 05:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Just saw that. RIP Mr. Berry.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

QuoteMarvin Berry:  Chuck! Chuck, it's Marvin. Your cousin, Marvin Berry. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well, listen to this!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

^Funny or sad, that's actually the first thing that popped into my head.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Roll over Beethoven... 

Rest in peace Chuck.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

steve58

He was a little before my time, but I still dig his music.  RIP Mr Berry  :(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

airboy

One of the few greats that my wife and I never saw live when we had the opportunity.  We have seen so many concerts, and we should have gone to see Chuck.  We have had your greatest hits CD for 30 years.

Surfin USA - a combination of Chuck Berry and Brian Wilson.
Johnny B. Goode
Roll over Beethoven

Rock on in Heaven!

Gusington

I could be wrong because I don't know how healthy he was but I could swear that a local station around advertised a tour he was set to begin this spring. RIP

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMddte6yD2w

This was played on Armed Forces Radio in the Fall of 1973.  Guys who had never heard of Chuck Berry became instant fans.
The Commodore of Desron 12, who was a bit removed, didn't get it and made it clear he didn't want to hear sailors singing it.l
Well, that was just like putting honeys out for flies.

Now if Youtube would put up Little Richard's dirty version of Tutti-Frutti...
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

He was an amazing talent. RIP Chuck.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/keith-richards-on-chuck-berry-the-granddaddy-of-us-all-w474753?utm_source=Microsoft&utm_campaign=Syndication&utm_medium=Keith+Richards+Remembers+Chuck+Berry...+And+That+Time+the+Rock+Icon+Punched+Him

QuoteChuck Berry was one of Keith Richards' greatest influences, but the relationship was not always amicable. 

One time Berry punched Richards in the eye when he went into the rock icon's dressing room and started playing his ax, the Rolling Stones guitarist recalls in a remembrance to Berry in Rolling Stone. Richards would later call this Berry's "greatest hit."

"We saw him play in New York somewhere, and afterward I was backstage in his dressing room, where his guitar was lying in its case. I wanted to look, out of professional interest, and as I'm just plucking the strings, Chuck walked in and gave me this wallop to the frickin' left eye," Richards said. "But I realized I was in the wrong. If I walked into my dressing room and saw somebody fiddling with my ax, it would be perfectly all right to sock 'em, you know? I just got caught."

Berry passed away March 18 at the age of 90 and, as Richards points out, his influence is heard across all rock music.  

"Chuck is the granddaddy of us all. Even if you're a rock guitarist who wouldn't name him as your main influence, your main influence is probably still influenced by Chuck Berry," Richards said. "He is rock & roll in its pure essence." 

Richards teamed with Berry in 1986 to produce the documentary concert film Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll that celebrated Berry's 60th birthday. For this, Richards moved into Berry's house for weeks, which he called a "childhood dream come true."

Richards recalled, "I'm living at Chuck Berry's house, putting a band together with him! Steve Jordan, Chuck Leavell and [NRBQ's] Joey Spampinato were there too, and every day was an adventure. One night I woke up and found him outside the door with this enormous machine, shampooing the rug at three in the morning: 'It's gotta get done!'

Upon hearing of Berry's death, Richards said it wasn't a "total unexpected shock" but still felt like a "blow to the gut."

"I kind of got the strange feeling that I remembered when Buddy Holly died. I was in school, and this whisper started to go around the classroom. The whole class gave this collective gasp of horror," he said. "This was that same blow to the gut. It hit me harder than I expected." 

Richards added, "But Chuck certainly hung in there. There's another thing I hope to emulate."
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.