Recommended snowblower brands?

Started by DoctorQuest, March 10, 2017, 09:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy a snowblower. I'm not getting any younger and Nebraska is not going to be moving into the tropical zone anytime soon.

I have a budget of around $900. I've been a Craftsman customer for a lot of years but the last lawnmower I purchased from them has been a little dodgy. It's time to expand my horizons.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Richie61

I have had a Cub Cadet Snow Blower 26" 2 stage for 8 years. I have only had one problem with it. It broke the gears on the shaft last year. It was normal wear and tear. I grease the gears, but one is
brass to save the steel teeth on the main shaft. Wasn't a big deal. I use Amsoil winter grease now and not the plain old grease like they said to use. I got my cheaper than the price they said.

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/snow-throwers/2X-two-stage-power/2x-26-hp

I want to get a new 3 stage next.
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

trailrunner

I bought this Toro electric snowblower last Fall:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FIQKYO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I bought it I realized that it would not be as robust as a gas powered blower, but it was a lot cheaper, and my property isn't very big. We didn't get much snow this year so I didn't get to use it much, but it was beefier than I expected.  This week we got a couple of inches of heavy, wet snow, and it handled that without a problem (and my back was very thankful).  Dealing with the cord is a PITA, but again, it was a compromise I was willing to deal with. 

I have lawn mowers, edgers, chainsaws, and other small engine equipment from Honda, Toro, Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo.  Of those brands, I like the first three the best.  When I was thinking about getting a gas-powered snow blower, I was leaning towards Toro or Husqvarna.  I won't buy Stihl again.

Although the electric snowblower met my expectations, I think if I had to do it again I'd by a gas-powered machine.

Windigo

STILH leaf blowers are really good. I have a gas one and I use it for light snow removal - it gets the job done. Big points for it starting with little effort.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Bison

I buy craftsman products generally for cost considerations, but man does STILH and Honda make some nice products too.  I'm due for a lawnmower maybe next summer and will be going with a Honda mower I think.  As far as snow, the wife bought me a new shovel.  I think its part of her long-term plan to keep me fit and healthy.   The back pain would suggest otherwise.  I dream of owning a snowblower some day.

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on March 21, 2017, 05:43:40 PM
....I think its part of her long-term plan to keep me fit and healthy.....

Or it's her plan to have you die of a heart attack and collect the insurance money!  :timeout:

Bison

Quote from: Barthheart on March 21, 2017, 06:01:46 PM
Quote from: Bison on March 21, 2017, 05:43:40 PM
....I think its part of her long-term plan to keep me fit and healthy.....

Or it's her plan to have you die of a heart attack and collect the insurance money!  :timeout:

Fortunately I'm worth more alive at least in the short term than I am dead.  Give it a few more years and the tables may very well change!

DoctorQuest

And on that note I will thank you all for the help and advice. I really do appreciate it.  O0
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

airboy

Dr. Quest - warning about gasoline engine snow blowers.

Under Obama the EPA screwed up small gasoline engines.  To keep a "modern" gasoline engine running is a nightmare in the USA.  I know people in manufacturing, and the Obama EPA messed up a lot of things.  Small gasoline engines were totally hosed.  I got so angry at my gasoline pressure washer that I gave it away.  I could not keep the thing running - even after having the carborator reworked.  Go electric.

Richie61

I moved 142" of snow in the 2015 winter season alone.  :wow: I move about 60" each year and I doubt I could shovel that much and still walk after the back pain  ;D
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"