New WWII Game from Makers of Wargame Series!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 01, 2017, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

As had been said before, the infantry model needs a fundamental rework from Wargame to make WWII make sense, but, to me, the real problem/need for fixin' will be in the G2 model.  Hyper-fidelity would drive customers away, but, if R.U.S.E. be any example, there's just too much BORG-y battlefield knowledge going on for it to feel right.

That said, if I could get the ruse ephemera out of the thing, R.U.S.E. would be one of my favorite RT games.  Very lovely (well, yeah) and great fun.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jarhead0331

I dunno...personally, I'd be perfectly happy with the same mechanics from Wargame with a WWII face-lift. Sure, more authenticity would be nice, but I still think the system will kickass in WWII, as is.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2017, 12:10:53 PM
I dunno...personally, I'd be perfectly happy with the same mechanics from Wargame with a WWII face-lift.

+1 I could live with just that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Since I don't have any experience with RUSE or the Wargame series I'm going to wait for all your reviews of this game  O0

Cyrano

Well, if it is, indeed, 10-man "squads" running about in a circle-space, I will be disappointed.

Oh, I'll buy it, because I cannot not purchase such things, but it would be a lost opportunity.  Those scrying the screenshots for wisdom imagine they've seen less of the Keystone Cop behavior among infantry that you see in Wargame, so that's something.

Pleased also to note that the Hellcats of the East have begun their predictable complaint that the Soviets are unjustly excluded.  As if that's not the first expansion pack...

And re: Tiger IIs in Normandy, well, Freud would have had much to say about the impulse that demands their presence before all others.  Like, you know, infantry carriers and Dingos.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JasonPratt

I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be great to have the game system of Command Ops (previously Airborne Assault) but with 3D gfx like the Wargame series...?"

And then I remembered Chain of Command is trying to do that! (Plus airpower!)

But I'll not quibble about WWargameII.  :smitten: There's room for both approaches.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

AchillesLastStand

They took applicants for beta testing earlier and it has already been filled up. I am guessing the game will have a late spring/summer release

Here is a comment from a poster and reply from a developer.

"The more i read and watch the more this game reminds me of the likes of Close Combat.

You couldn't make us a nicer compliment ...
Thanks. :)"

Destraex

It's VIP closed beta testing. I set my alarm for 3.30 am and by the time my smart phone figured out how to correct getting the date correct and making it backwards, smallest to largest does not seem to apply to most countries, the first in first served VIP beta had run out of keys. That was at 3.33am.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Cyrano

Close Combat with that engine?

My goodness...if they get even close...

HoodedHorseJoe

Hey guys,

Sorry to be promoting the site again, but I figure this would be passable. If not, feel free to just delete.

Essentially, I received an invite to the VIP Beta for Steel Divisions happening next week. I was provided with a link that leads to a form you need to fill in, by my form link allows for 50 key allocations, so anyone can use the same link I did to fill out a form and potentially get a key.

I don't know if the GH management have received their own form/link, but you guys are more than welcome to use ours as well if you want to try and secure a place. Article is here, with the relevant news item and form link at the very bottom.

Hope some of you get in. I for one am very excited to try this out.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: WargamerJoe on March 10, 2017, 12:38:16 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry to be promoting the site again, but I figure this would be passable. If not, feel free to just delete.

Essentially, I received an invite to the VIP Beta for Steel Divisions happening next week. I was provided with a link that leads to a form you need to fill in, by my form link allows for 50 key allocations, so anyone can use the same link I did to fill out a form and potentially get a key.

I don't know if the GH management have received their own form/link, but you guys are more than welcome to use ours as well if you want to try and secure a place. Article is here, with the relevant news item and form link at the very bottom.

Hope some of you get in. I for one am very excited to try this out.

Still got this message......

"Steel Division: Normandy 44 VIP BETA
We are sorry it looks like the registration limit has been reached... Stay tuned, other info about Steel Division: Normandy 44 will come very soon"

Shouldn't be long tho, Eugen usually releases their titles around May.

AchillesLastStand

Steel Division is being streamed on Twitch right now, and yes it looks awesome O0

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Jarhead0331

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on March 22, 2017, 12:16:05 PM
Steel Division is being streamed on Twitch right now, and yes it looks awesome O0

That is one impressive man-bun.

Those maps look amazing. Does look like a Wargame set in WWII dream come true.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 22, 2017, 01:37:54 PM
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on March 22, 2017, 12:16:05 PM

That is one impressive man-bun.

LOL... that's what I noticed first too..... kinda made a bad impression, for me, of what they saying and showing....hipster doofuses... but the game does look fun...