Wolf Brand Chili

Started by solops, February 28, 2017, 03:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

What has happened to Wolf Brand Chili? I have been a big fan of this canned chili for over 50 years. But, sometime over the last 8 or 10 years it has gotten watery and bland. Even my wife, who does not like canned chili, noticed it. Did they get bought out and reduced to the lowest common denominator by marketing tests or what, like Pace's picante sauce? Is it all about lowering costs? I avoid it now and buy something else when I do not have the time or inclination to make my own (always the best!). I have suffered in silence long enough and must speak out.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Bison

I feel the pain of suffering in silence over a lost love due to the changing natures of processed food.

bbmike

They quit putting real wolves in it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I blame PETA for the wolf free food movement.

bobarossa

Not to mention that branding them is cruel.

Con

Lack of wolves meant they had to resort to poodles...French Poodles

Nefaro

Quote from: Con on February 28, 2017, 06:27:27 PM
Lack of wolves meant they had to resort to poodles...French Poodles

Still probably far cheaper than the price of ground beef these days.  The climbing costs certainly didn't get back to the beef farmers' wallets at such increasing rates, either.

Boggit

Quote from: solops on February 28, 2017, 03:00:23 PM
What has happened to Wolf Brand Chili? I have been a big fan of this canned chili for over 50 years. But, sometime over the last 8 or 10 years it has gotten watery and bland. Even my wife, who does not like canned chili, noticed it. Did they get bought out and reduced to the lowest common denominator by marketing tests or what, like Pace's picante sauce? Is it all about lowering costs? I avoid it now and buy something else when I do not have the time or inclination to make my own (always the best!). I have suffered in silence long enough and must speak out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Brand_Chili

Your words are prophetic - they did get bought out a few times, the current owners ConAgra (the clue's in the name...  :DD ) re-invented the means of production and the quality of ingredients to save money ( - and apparently save sales too, from what Wiki says about disappointed customers). From what I can tell it was a pretty good chili back in the day.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

OJsDad

We buy straight from the beef farmers.  Cut out the middle man. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

^ Me too far better quality, but sometime the price is higher than the lower grade beef in grocery stores unfortunately.  Plus support local, buy local and all that jazz.

OJsDad

Wish i could find some that raises buffalo.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

I looked into it, but to rich for my blood.

Steelgrave

I always make twice the chili we need for a meal, then fill a few quart and pint freezer bags for future use. I haven't popped open a can of chili in ages. Hell, last time I did, Wolf Brand was probably still edible, so thanks for the warning  O0

OJsDad

Yea, buffalo is too rich for me also, but wouldn't mind getting some once in awhile.  BTW, you can get some on Amazon from Omaha Steaks.  Six burgers and 8 steaks $157.